+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Poly Yarn Strike Indicators

Gemrod,

The waterproofer I use I buy at WalMart in the camping section. It's a spray silicone based product intended for waterproofing clothing/tents/boots and such. I spray it into an empty Watershed container I just happen to have handy. Works better than the stuff that came in the jar.

Nice thing, it's permanent with only one application, leaves no odor, and REALLY waterproofs deer hair and dry flies. To the point where the deer hair bugs will skip right off the surface until the tailing has absorbed enough water to anchor them.

By the way, my albeit unscientific tests showed that on my deer hair bugs RainEx worked no better than no treatment at all. I keep hearing about folks using it, but I can't get it to work at all. Great for windows, though.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Any spray on shoe water shed will work, I even use it on my furled leaders.
    One thing about the foam indicators is they are a lot of wind resistance. But on calm days they are fantastic.
    I will also trim mine down so they are a little less resistant.

[quote="MontanaMoose"]when I nymphed I didn't mind if the strike indcator sank some, which I could control with a slight lift. quote]

MM, how much sinking do you find to be workable? My indicator sank completely, and I could only see it because the water was crystal clear.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave_Fulton, that is too much. It was water logged as you already know. You want some of it breaking water. Much like if you tug on it to get it at a sub surface level.

Dave, bingo on water clarity. It didn't bother me to have my strike indicator 2 or even as much as 4 ft under water when something stopped its movement(fish, rock, whatever) so long as I could see it, I could lift/set and it would be trout/no trout. Some will argue with my interpretation of using strike indicators and that's understandable. I got this variation for the use of strike indicators years ago when the type you're talking about came on the scene commercially and I first saw a guide friend using them that way.

Of course I had to ask, but I could already see that it made sense. The guide said something to the effect that not only does it help the drift run deeper and with less leader buoying (boundary layer) but that he could control the depth of the drift also simply by raising and lowering the rod tip unlike being at the mercy of the fully floating strike indicator. Hope I've helped even just a little Dave !

Merry Christmas !

MontanaMoose

Has anyone tried ReviveX by Gore on the yarn indicators?

Yesterday I treated my yarn with Water Shed. Hopefully I'll see an improvement although whatever brand I bought; they floated pretty well for awhile.

I fish a lot of really small creeks for wild trout and this month I have been doing pretty well fishing a beadhead nymph about 18" under a yarn indicator.

The creeks are very shallow and the yarn offers the best cast-ability, visibility and lightness of presentation. The casts and drifts are too short to just use the floating fly line as an indicator. The splat of a foam, Strike Putty or other type indicator scares the fish in these secluded spots so yarn reigns supreme.

I want to thank everyone again for all the information. I haven't been fly fishing all that long, and mostly fish dries and streamers, so nymphs and indicators leave me scratching my head even more than usual.

Bamboozle, we are fishing the same type of water ... small, shallow ... neurotic fish.

Dave

Dave:

As a stubborn dry fly fisherman it kills me to fish nymphs. Beginning last month when I was fishing in a small mountain creek and was having no luck on the surface; I tied on a beadhead Prince nymph about 18" below a yarn indicator. This set-up worked perfectly in the very shallow riffles and pocket pools in this creek.

End result: I caught 4 wild beauties while my fishing partners BOTH got skunked. I've been fishing the same set-up all this month in PA and LOVING IT!

It's ALMOST as much fun as fishing a dry fly.

+ Reply to Thread