+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody spooling.......

Normand Guest

Default Anybody spooling.......

a fly reel with plain old monofilament??

I've heard it was done years ago but how about today??

Normand,

I've seen it done for Salmon fishing in the ocean while using cut herring for bait. Other than that application, I'm not sure of the advantage a fly reel would have over a large spinning reel. What are you planning on using it for?

Jim Smith

I've heard of people doing it for steelhead back east, mostly for the added line capacity. A lot of those guys are basically bait-fishing with a fly rod, rather than casting a fly. I can't imagine it would cast very well, most people I know that do it just feed the bait out into the current until something happens.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

LOL Bluegill, you guys crack me up, what we are doing is using the mono for backing. We are not BAIT fishing. Some saltwater fish will run 100-150 yards before they even start to slow down. The mono allows us to carry 350+ yards of backing. 20lb mono takes up a lot less reel space then 20lb dacron does. We don't cast with it nor do we use bait.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Ray,

You are using mono for backing? I've always heard and read you should not use mono for backing because of the pressure it places on the arbor of the reel. Years ago I had a reel on which I used mono for backing. After a while it got so tight I couldn't turn the handle. True!

H.

Hendrickson, I've never had a problen, then agian I only use Abel reels in the salt.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

I have seen it done alot when fishing for salmon. when you are cucking and ducking heavy weights you dont need a fly line to cast out, and mono sinks fly lines dont. Now I dont see why they dont use a sinking line or a baitcaster rod

The potential problem with mono backing is due to the pressure on the spool sides that can occur when mono is wound on under pressure.

Mono has a lot of stretch compared to dacron backing. As it stretches its diameter decreases. If wound on the spool under pressure, it goes on at a thinner diameter. As it relaxes once wound on, it tries to expand back to its initial state. This causes an increase in side pressure on the spool, which can cause the spool to deform or even burst if it is not strong enough to resist the pressure.

One might ask "why isn't this a problem with baitcasting reels?". Typcially the ratio between the radius of the spool and the width of the spool is much less with these reels compared to fly reels. So the area of mono in contact with the spool side is less that with a fly reel of similar capacity so the pressure exerted on the sides is less with baitcasting gear.

I have seen some examples of inexpensive revolving spool reels with plastic or composite spools that have failed when hooked up with heavy and powerful saltwater fish because the line cranked in under load resulting in a pressure on the spool that it could not handle.

Won't mono groove the rod guides?

I've considered doing it but am not there yet.
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

I suspect that most of you are too young to have experienced this but, once upon a time, spinning gear was unknown ('sa fact). Before spinning gear was introduced from Europe in the years following World War II, trout fishermen only had two kinds of equipment available to them; fly tackle and baitcasting gear. For those who didn't face up to the (perceived) difficulty of actually casting a fly, it was quite common to load up the fly reel with braided nylon (before the ready availability of monofilament; remember, this was still the era when leader material was derived from the gut of a silkworm) and later monofilament and, putting a split shot or two on the leader, it was possible to strip out a bit of line and to lob a single salmon egg or a worm or bit of nightcrawler to a considerable distance. It was a pretty effective way to fish

I've always considered the problem of winding on monofilament so tightly as to distort or even damage a spool to be more theoretical than real. I, as I'm sure most of you do, usually "pump" the rod when retrieving so that, when line is actually being wound onto the reel, it is done so with a minimal amount of tension. In the "good old days", not quite so long ago, when most steelhead fly fishing in the PNW was done with 30-foot shooting heads, the material of choice for running line was 30-pound test monofilament and most of us just filled the spool up with it. Again, I don't actually recall ever hearing of any spool damage resulting from the practice

+ Reply to Thread