+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville (Virginia) FlyFishing ??

Default Charlottesville (Virginia) FlyFishing ??

I live in the Charlottesville, VA area and am still fairly new to flyfishing. I'm looking for some good recommendations for troutfishing in this area, especially in these colder months. I've been on the Conway, Rapidan and Rose (all good experiences), but not much else.
    Anyone from this area have some tips?

There was a great article on fishing the Jackson River in the February issue of "Fly Fisherman" which included places to fish and tips on what to fish.

Tail waters are fishable this time of year. I fish the Smith River a lot. It can be tough fishing,but is worth the effort. I and a friend are planning on going back to the Jackson sometime after Christmas when the weather is cooperating.

Other than these two, some of the DH areas are fishable. We fished the North River DH and had pretty good luck. You could try the VDGIF website for the Delayed harest sections and their locations.

There are a lot of good places near Charlottesville. Hoping to hit some of them this spring.

The Jackson River article mentioned by Larry954 - that is a good place to fish.

In the Eastern Fly Fishing magazine, there was an article on Big Run - in the Shenandoah. About a month ago, there was a bad ice storm in the Shenandoah. Lots of trees were knocked down. Parts of Skyline drive are still closed for cleanup. Some of the trails are in bad shape.

Not to far up the road from you in Edinburg is Murray's Fly Shop http://www.murraysflyshop.com/ - tons of good info there.

Look on Amazon for books by Harry Murray. Don't forget the ponds in your area.

The James River is an outstanding smallmouth fishery. Had some really great fishing this past summer.

Check out the book, Trout Streams of VA by Harry Sloan. The Albemarle Angler or Barnes & Noble should have it.

I'll be moving back up there in the spring, so let me know if you want to try some new streams.

Have you hit the South river? It should be but a short drive for you, and while the scenery is....not pretty (that is as politically correct as you will ever see me), the fishing is above average. I was out there week before last, bring your streamers. Once I figured that out, I couldnt stop catching em. Its a fairly wide river for that region (compared to say, the Mormons) and easily wadeable. Its no Jackson river, but its also ALOT closer.

Hope this helps~

I grew up in Charlottesville, so I was going to recommend the Mormans (north fork). I heard that there was a flood there a few years back that did some damage. Anyone know if it's back?

I did a lot on the South, Conway, Stanton, and Rapidan -- all just a little north of town. Then there was the St. Mary's, but I understand that it's in pretty bad shape nowadays.

The Smith River down around Bassett was always a great trip too - totally different water from those little streams north of Stanardsville!
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

The Mormans is back, stocked 3x each winter. It is now a Spec Reg stream (if it wasnt before) and you need a pass from the Albemarle Anglers to fish it. $45/year. My very little understanding of it is the flood you mentioned did wipe it out and they have spent some money to restore it, thus the fee. I believe its run by TU. Bring your superfine (6-7x) leaders with tiny midges. They have a habit of bunching up in the largest pool the stream offers and smiling at you all day while they sip nearly invisible insects from the surface film. I have never been above the dam, and what I understand is its an even smaller stream with brookies. Down below are rainbows in the 11-18" range. Not a bad place to hit for a few hours, but in my mind not the first place on my list if I have a whole day either....

Back in the late 70s I helped the Charlottesville chapter (TJTU) of Trout Unlimited build a handicapped fishing access area on the north fork of the Mormans a little ways above the lake.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

While it's been a few years, the last time I got up to the Morman's the fishing was VERY slow. Also, moving around the stream was difficult due to fallen timber and debris. On a separate note, check the Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries website for license regulations. Like I said, it's been a few years, but I find it hard to believe that you would need to buy a special permit(more than your fishing license, trout license, and MAYBE a Nat'l Forest stamp) to go up there.

While I know this may be a fairly new thing (say past 2-3 years), Ive been there 4 times in the past 3 months and the special pass is required. Now Ive never been stopped and asked to present it, but its clearly marked. I believe something to the effect of Special Regulation Trout Water, Permit Required from Trout Unlimited, and to contact Albemarle Angers for the permit. It is no longer too difficult to wade with plenty of entry points, at least below the dam. Cant speak for above it.

+ Reply to Thread