+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9', 9'6" or 10' ?

1. Default

There are several other factors related to the physics of the situation which should be examined.

The longer the rod, the greater the force required of the angler to cast. Why? Because the line has a longer lever to "pull" against. OTOH, in fighting a fish, the longer rod gives the fish a greater leverage against the angler, making the fight greater. OTOH, (how many hands do you have?) netting a fish with a 10' rod, assuming you are as reluctant as I am to let the leader/line connection inside the tiptop, is very difficult and is best done by someone who either employs a gillie, or has but lately descended from the family tree and falls into the class of "knuckledragger".

Yet, I favor the 10' rod. In 1910, a rod as short as 10' was considered a "ladies rod". I've spent many days casting dry flies with a 10' wetfly rod ca. 1890. With the proper static balance I never found it wearing. All that said, for the last two seasons I've used a 7' 4wt Santos for everything ... go figure.

"Can't I, after all this, find at least one kind thing to say about our new short fly rods? Well, yes, perhaps this, I am reminded of the country sage's defense of bad breath. "It's mighty unpleasant, but it beats no breath at all."
    from "Fly-fishing Heresies" by Leonard M. Wright (1975 - Winchester)

Best regards,
    Reed

Well every one is pretty right on about the nine footers virtues but you might want to also consider an eight and a half foot. You talk of fishing the sierra's and there are a lot of nice streams around those lakes. For the distances you cast a dry fly a good tip action rod in 8 1/2 or 9 foot should work great for you. I prefer a 5 wght. but wind, large flies and fish might indicate a 6 wgt. Go to the fly shop and cast, cast, cast. Go in with no preconcieved notions and you might be surprized what suits you. Good Luck

Mike

As noted it takes more force to cast a longer rod - both to get it moving, and to stop it. This can make it more difficult to control the casting stroke and affect accuracy, ability to form a good loop, etc. Those that favor long rods tend to use them quite a bit and are accustomed to using them. I know of one Sierra guide that works year round that tried 10 foot rods for his stillwater clients last year. He found that during the course of the day they were too tiring for most of his clients. I fish 50+ days a year, most using 7-10 wt rods, and I find a 10' 5 or 6 wt to be fatiguing for a day's fishing. More so than casting a 9wt rod with leadcore shooting head all day. I do find 10 footers useful though for high stick nymphing though. Yet since I only do this a handful of days per year I stay with a 9 footer. If I lived where I might do this type of fishing much more often, then I would be much more likely to use the longer rod. Given where Tyrone lives, I suspect that he is making a few road trips a year to the Sierra, but not fishing there every week, or even every month and may not put in the time needed to be comfortable with longer rods.

The potential ability to cast a longer line with a longer rod may be an advantage, but only if you have the skills that would allow you to cast well with any rod. If you can only cast 50' with a 9 footer, you aren't going to gain another 20-30 feet just by adding a foot to the length of your rod. Doesn't matter whether we are talking overhead or roll casts. I think casting ability is a more significant factor.

Many people like longer rods, as noted, for wading and float tubing because they feel they can keep more long off the water. However, if you have good casting skills, and especially a good back cast, your line will not hit the water. I have actually gone to 7.5' and 8' rods for float tubing because it can be easier to bring fish to hand with the shorter rod. I can still lay out 50-60' casts if I need to.

I think Tyrone should also factor the waters he is most likely to fish into his choice. Most Sierra streams and rivers are not particularly broad, and those that are are often broken up by boulders, downed trees and such that create currents that make longer distance fishing tricky. The features of these streams often negate the extended reach benefits of a longer rod with respect to dry fly fishing.

Given these considerations and my experience, I know my choice is a 9ft rod and that is what I use for 75% of my Sierra angling, the rest being shorter rods for small brushy streams.

Thanks everyone for your insights. You have given me a lot to think about when making my selection. I did test cast again the 6 wt in the three lengths and even tried an 11'. The 11' is not a consideration, but was a curiousity. I have eliminated the 10', but I have not ruled out the 9'6" as I have found its casting characteristics to be similar to a 9'. Decisions decisions.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread