+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tying flies for $$?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I believe that Dave Micus wrote an absolutely hilarious column about getting hijacked into tying saltwater flies commercially. Check the archives for that essay. Not only is it funny, but its also highly informative.

I have also tied for money in my early teens and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I got an order for 36 dozen flies from a local sporting goods store. I was paid 15 cents a fly. That order hung over me like a cloud. Every free second went into finishing by the February deadline. When you are forced to do something, even something you love, it becomes a chore. Just my two percent of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs
    I believe that Dave Micus wrote an absolutely hilarious column about getting hijacked into tying saltwater flies commercially. Check the archives for that essay. Not only is it funny, but its also highly informative.

I have also tied for money in my early teens and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I got an order for 36 dozen flies from a local sporting goods store. I was paid 15 cents a fly. That order hung over me like a cloud. Every free second went into finishing by the February deadline. When you are forced to do something, even something you love, it becomes a chore. Just my two percent of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T
    I would have hated it in my teens too. Too much to do and too much energy to do it.

When you get to my age things change.

I've watched this thread for four pages now, and I just have to kick in. I had a "hot" wolly bugger pattern that caught a lot of steelhead. Several guys I met on the river asked if I would tie some for them, and were willing to pay $1.25 each for them. Long story short, I ended up making some pretty good money, but at the expense of time fishing. I took this bunch of yahoos and taught them how to tie their own, and got my fishing time back. Today I give away more flies than I use or lose, and this gives me more satisfaction than the money ever could. Especially when I watch a fellow angler catch fish on my flies. I also get a lot of converts to tying in the process.

Life is too short (regardless of age) to pass up opportunities for personal satisfaction and for helping others achieve the same. Follow your heart and try anything that tickles your fancy. Only time will tell what comes of it.

Good Tying!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Dave Micus wrote an article about "going commercial" (part-time)-in the archives I believe. And John Gierach also wrote of it in one of his books. It sounded discouragingly tedious on both counts, and not very profitable. You will,however, get better at tying by repetition, for sure. I find that when I tie up a couple of dozen flies for a CFR donation or a gift, I go faster and get better...but get bored. I guess it's a matter of mindset, but the idea of a huge order would bum me out -bigtime! I think the flyswap or trying to break in with a small display at a friends business- even a gas station or convenience store near a well used public water might be your best start... Good Luck, Jim

Default It Makes Me Happy !!!

At times, I don't make a lot of money (one day if I win the powerball & buy a hunting/fishing lodge, then maybe). Other times I do make a lot; makes for a nice relaxing side business.
    Alpinefly

I tied flies (size 30's and 32's) for the Orvis store I worked at. Orvis would pay me $9.00 a dozen and sell them for $1.95 each. Figuring the material and hooks, I made about .03 cents per fly. Now you decide if you want to tie for profit, can be done but very, very slow. These were simple flies, now tie the more difficult one with more material.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    I tied flies (size 30's and 32's) for the Orvis store I worked at. Orvis would pay me $9.00 a dozen and sell them for $1.95 each. Figuring the material and hooks, I made about .03 cents per fly. Now you decide if you want to tie for profit, can be done but very, very slow. These were simple flies, now tie the more difficult one with more material.
    So, they paid you .75c a fly. It cost you .72c to make a size 32 fly? Why would you even bother?

Does everybody agree with this cost? You can buy flies for .60c that look pretty nice to me. Even with cheap labor. How can they do that?

My buddy ties flies commercially. He's making a lot more than .03c a fly.

$.50 to $.70 of material in a trout fly is extremely high IMHO. As I mentioned earlier, I tie simple local trout flies for our tailwaters. For the purpose of this example, I will use the PT bug. I use tiemco hooks that retail for $4.50 per package of 25. That is $.18 per hook, retail. For the thread, I have never attemtped to count the number of flies tied by one spool, but I estimate that each fly has about $.02 of thread. $.02 of pheasanttail, coupled with $.01 in copper wire and $.02 in Black UV Ice Dub and you come up with the total of $.25 per fly. In the Hobby industry, it is hard to account for self labor, but most agree that you add 3x the material. Thus I should charge $1.00/fly.

steve

Gramps -

You've received some good advice and perspective to your question - both pro and con.

Here's Henry Ford's take on it:

"If you believe you can do a thing, or if you believe you can't, in either case you're probably right".

Gramps;
    I tied some fly's for a silent auction. It was for a friend dying of cancer. I mounted the fly's in a little wooden box I had laying around with a clear plastic lid. A dozen fly's and a left over box from who knows where went for $35.00!! The lady that won it keeps it on her mantle. Did I make a profit? You bet I did! In my heart sir, in my heart!

+ Reply to Thread