+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a 'dodger' for fly fishing - esp. in rivers.

Default a 'dodger' for fly fishing - esp. in rivers.

I have been doing some reading and thinking about the action of streamers/bugger and possibly wet flies it river fishing. If one just lets the drift finish the fly hangs in the water and possibly moves a little bit. However, if there was a dodger above it the fly would dart about, although not move upstream or down. I expect this would be more realistic. I think I recall a thread here on the topic, but what do you think? Would a Dahlberg Diver or muddler create the action. Do I need to invent a fly fishing version (false fingernail - is it strong enough?). Something to put in the line that would make the fly a foot lower dodge and dart erratically. Your thoughts ??

I haven't tried it but there is a company that makes this plastic piece that looks like a suction cup with a hole drilled through the middle of it. You put it on your leader cup side facing out away from the fly and it is supposed to make the fly wiggle while trolling, I don't know how well it is supposed to cast. I guess if all you are concerned about is the fly wiggly directly down stream for you you could just let line out down stream.

A different approach is to take a small swimming plug, I think they used to make flyrod lures, and take off the rear hook and attach a short piece of leader to it then tie your fly to that. When the plug swims in the current its tail should wiggle and give your fly a bit of wiggle. A heavy fly rod can throw a tiny plug no problem as long as you let it come to the surface for the next cast.

Hope this helps.
    Your hooks sharp????

Great "loaded" topic.
    I probably would not use this device and I'm not really sure why. Probably for the same reason I don't spray scent on my fly. When I mentioned " loaded", there is some element,however minute, of fly fishing purism that I maintain. Adding "stuff" to my tippet is just not something I prefer to do. And also, seems like this would be very much like trolling and I never enjoyed that. I see a good sub- question here though, am I fishing or am I fly fishing?
    And Greg, as per your request, these are only MY thoughts.

Marc Petitjean's Magic Head is something similar to what Micropteris is talking about, but you tie it into the head of your streamer pattern. Pushed back, it folds over the head of the streamer and helps it keep a nice baitfish profile. However, if you pull it forward, it forms a cup that makes the fly chug and wobble. I've used it a few times, seems to work pretty well, especially on patterns worked just under the surface. Only drawback I've found is that it makes your streamer cast like a popper, lots of air resistance.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    Great "loaded" topic.
    I probably would not use this device and I'm not really sure why. Probably for the same reason I don't spray scent on my fly. When I mentioned " loaded", there is some element,however minute, of fly fishing purism that I maintain. Adding "stuff" to my tippet is just not something I prefer to do. And also, seems like this would be very much like trolling and I never enjoyed that. I see a good sub- question here though, am I fishing or am I fly fishing?
    And Greg, as per your request, these are only MY thoughts.
    Ditto...one of my first thoughts was ...why not use a spinning rod

Why not use a spinning rod to throw flies with lead dumbell eyes?
    Why not use a spinning rod to throw lead bodied or bead headed nymphs?
    Why not use a spinning rod to throw tiny poppers?
    Why not use a spinning rod to throw a split shot a foot above a nymph?

These are all tactics that people think are perfectly acceptable for fly fishing that can be used with ultra light spin tackle.

You use a fly rod because you can present them differently with a fly rod than with a spinning rod. Fly fishing is all about presentation not just the ability to throw puffy flies 50 feet away. You can do that with a bobber and a spinning rod.
    Your hooks sharp????

That's an interesting question. What if you incorporated a little plastic lip into the fly when you tie it. I don't like the idea of adding something in my leader; (k)not paranoia about the line breaking. I think yo could get some great action. The trick would be to tie it so it wobbles/darts as opposed to spinning and twisting the leader.

Adam

Default Re: a 'dodger' for fly fishing - esp. in rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H
    Something to put in the line that would make the fly a foot lower dodge and dart erratically. Your thoughts ??
    The Fly Rod Flatfish (F2, F3, F4, F5, F6 , and F7) does this dodging and darting very simply. Since it is the lure, you do not have to attach a fly trailer though you could. They have been around since around 1940; Worden now makes them. The F series ranges from 1 to 2 1/4 inches long.

Light fly rod spoons have been out there even longer, or you can make them from willow leaf spinner blades. Daredevles come to mind. Again these might serve by themselves or as a dodgers for small flies.

The smaller versions will handle on a 5/6 wt OK. More beaf required for the big ones. But they will never cast like fur and feathers. And you have the "conscience" issue of whether this is fly fishing or "mooching" with a fly rod. I won't touch that.

Some "natural" materials like mirabou plumes and bunny strips might give you all the action you are looking for without having to go over to the dark side.

Good luck.
    Bear742

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Blog Entries

Be sure to check the regulations for the area where you fish. It would be an illegal rig here In British Columbia. The regs clearly spell out that only an artificial fly may be attached to the line while fly fishing.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread