+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old fly rod info. requested.

Default Old fly rod info. requested.

Just received and old banbo fly rod without markings.
    Its in a burlap case marked "Cover, spare barrel M8
    crawford Mfg. Co Inc 1943. It has 3 tips. Would it be useable and can anyone give me any info. about it.
    Thank.

Tony C.

Tony
    We're going to need more info than that plus some pics. I think that burlap case was for an extra gun barrell not that rod.

Tom

Tom.
    Thanks for your reply. Your correct. The cover does state "Spare Barrel", I guess I should have read it with my eyes open. The original owner was a close relation and a hunter. I"ll take some pictures and post then, I sure would like to know the manufactures name. I think I"ll hang it on the wall for safe keeping.
    Thanks again.

TonyC.

Default old cane rod

Hi,

This is a great site with a wealth of collective knowlege, but sometimes these older rods are tough. Is there no writing on it at all? What color is used on the wraps? Are there intermediate wraps?

I don't know where you are in the neighbor state, but if you're in the mood for a winter drive up the road to Maine, there is a free event called SuperBoo (since its the weekend after the SuperBowl) where cane fan from all over gather to look at, cast, and talk cane. Fortunately for all of us, Banjo (October Woods) is instrumental, as well as being a fantastic source of info on classic rods.

Kat

Kat.
    Not a marking on it, but it appears to be commercially make.
    The raps on the eyes are yellow and black.
    I talked to the owner of a local Shop,and he thinks that possiblly the rod was made in the western part of Mass. I'll bring it in to have him look at it.
    I like more info. on the Maine meeting but I'll keep it in mine.
    Thanks for your reply.

TonyC.

Default old rod / SuperBoo IV

Hi,

Western Mass.? Maybe Montague? Looking at it or a pic probably is best

SuperBoo IV (the fourth year, and close to the SuperBowl in date, hence the name) is Feb 10th, a Saturday, from 8am to roughly 3pm at the Junior High gym in Fairfield, Maine, near Waterville and very close to the freeway (95). Its free.

Feel free to e-mail me for directions at dpvbkjs@tdstelme.net or drop by our co-sponsor http://flyfishinginmaine.com/forums

Best of luck,
    Kat

Tony: Your M-8 Spare Barrel bag has an intresting background. M stand of course for Military. You may have heard of M-1, M-16' rifles, etc. The M-8 is a modern weapon and as such is a modular weapon, taking three different barrels for different functions. Most M-8s would look similar to the current M-4, with a shorter barrel than the M-16.
    I realize this may be more information that you might want but never the less a story goes with your fly rod bag. Jonezee

Default Old rod info

Those M8 barrel covers came with some Montague rods. Montague must have acquired them as WWII surplus to use as rod cases. For instance, see eBay auctions 160057584760 or 270063369036

The lack of markings indicates the rod was probably refinished. The reel seat, grip, winding check, and ferrules will help identify the rod - provided those items were not replaced. The thread wrap colors and styles might not be original and won't help for an ID. Run an eBay search on "montague rod" and compare the hardware on your rod to those up for auction.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread