+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who to buy from

I am a huge believer in supporting my local shop. Yes, JC, I DO get free coffee, but I neither get nor expect discounts. I have developed friendships with these folks...why would I expect them to serve me for little or nothing $$ wise? The solid advice & extra special customer service are worth the difference in price. If I am looking for something they don't have, TMF in Ravenna, Ohio will do their best to find it. They have also stayed past closing to accomodate me (and others) with really low cost sales, such as spooling a reel. Can't beat that in my book.
    BTW, Walmart also has a place & I DO shop there. I do NOT buy any flyfishing gear there as I am a fierce loyalist to my fly shop. I'll pay the extra to the independent as long as I get the service.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Questions, questions and more questins

Should,nt we support the place that provides the best service to a customer? If lil guy gives you the best value for your hard earned dollar than by all means shun the big box stores. If big box gives real value vs lilguy than by all means let lil guy spend more time on the crick bank and ponder a lack of fiduciary profitabilaty.(cant believe that I got that out). Money talks, The lack of it screams.
    Also if you go to big bos often enough they will also get to know your name , friendships can develope and trips will be taken, just like with the lil guy shop.Big guy aint always a bad thing.

Well.. I was lookin for a little conversation but it looks like I opened a can of garden hackle! This seems to be a hot button topic. By the way, the store does carry both brand name and store labels. I did not check quality of store labels. I was looking at name branded stuff. As I said earlier I believe I will support local shop but purchase items unavailable at SW. Seems like a logical balance. Everyone is free to have there own opinions and it is good to hear them. None are wrong---just different. Enjoyed the exchange. Tight lines

Mike

This is an interesting topic. I only wish I had a local deadicated tackle shop that was worth while. It only holds minimum fly tackle equipment at ridiculous prices. I do buy from them hooks, when needed immediately but other items such as rods, reels and lines I go else where. I usually buy from the US. If I don't, I can't participate in my hobby because of the exuberant mark up in prices.

I feel no regret or sence of guilt when buying from someone else nor do I think anyone should. By all means support you local fly tackle store if they provide good service and prices otherwise you owe them nothing and you are entitled to get your satisfaction else where.

Cheers

I read JC's letter on the main page.
    I attended a fly tying class at a local fly shop (no longer with us) that was similar to what he described, with the exception, this one was $50. for four weeks of one night. The class provided all material and vises (which was when I decided I need a Renzetti and bought one of my own). They knew what they were doing, give good equipment to learn on and then a 10% discount for students on everything in the store.
    I was way beyond this calss at the time, but it was still fun. They also taught knots, lines, leaders, and tippet.
    I later went to work for what you call a big box (ORVIS). The store had the fly tying classes, along with fly casting, guide service and demo's from well known master. The store was always packed for the demo's.
    Anyway, the class was $200. (which seem very high to me at first) That included basically everything I got for the $50. years earlier. However this class took people to Falcon's Ledge for the casting which was very nice, lunch included.
    This also included all material and equipment with a little better discount for students for the four weeks.
    Almost everyone of those students signed up for the next level class and frequented the store on a regular basis.

I think there is some stereo typing here from bad experienses and I don't say that with trying to start something. Just what "I" am reading.

I see it this way. I get to choose to pay $7.95 at the big box store and walk out with a leader. My other choice may be to pay $8.45 and walk out with a leader, some good advice and a nice visit with someone who shares values about fishing with me. Sometimes that local place also gives me discounts, free "stuff" and other benefits, like a report on where the fishing is good and what flies work.

Seems to me the additional money makes sense alot of the time.

As for Wal-mart I think I'll not take the bait this time but I surely disagree with Wal-mart being a good place to shop.

jed

I am all for the local fly shop. If they are nice people, then I give em all I can. If they have an undesireable attitude, then I go elsewhere.
    I would rather have a guy who owns 1 busines than a chain outlet anyday.
    If the individual fly shops are gone, we get to shop at regimentation city. Line up here, watch what you say. "I can't give you the backing, it is against policy." Shove your policy I say!
    The local guy will put my new line on my reel. He will tell me what knot he is using, and give me some information about how this new fly line was developed and made.
    For instance Sears will give you back 99 cents if that is the change. They will call someone or delay you if they need pennies, to make sure you get 99 cents and not 1 dollar, which would be one penney more than you have coming.
    The local guy will give you a buck back and tell you go straight home, no bar hopping on your way home. I like the jabber with the local guy. He is allowed to have a personality, not like Mr. Corporate who must march to the companies philosophy, and never say anything that could offend.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S
    I am all for the local fly shop. If they are nice people, then I give em all I can. If they have an undesireable attitude, then I go elsewhere.
    I would rather have a guy who owns 1 busines than a chain outlet anyday.
    If the individual fly shops are gone, we get to shop at regimentation city. Line up here, watch what you say. "I can't give you the backing, it is against policy." Shove your policy I say!
    The local guy will put my new line on my reel. He will tell me what knot he is using, and give me some information about how this new fly line was developed and made.
    For instance Sears will give you back 99 cents if that is the change. They will call someone or delay you if they need pennies, to make sure you get 99 cents and not 1 dollar, which would be one penney more than you have coming.
    The local guy will give you a buck back and tell you go straight home, no bar hopping on your way home. I like the jabber with the local guy. He is allowed to have a personality, not like Mr. Corporate who must march to the companies philosophy, and never say anything that could offend.
    Bob
    I still have to repeat my last statement about stereo type. I have encountered the opposite of everything you mentioned about the chain stores.
    I am still going to say you can get the BIG CHAIN treatment at the LOCAL SHOPS too. I have before ex: Sam's not a big spender, let me help ol' Joe he always buys something.
    At least at the BIG CHAINS they are told to greet and help you and the boss is always watching (and yes I know there are exceptions here also)

It is the PEOPLE that are selling that makes a difference, not the store.

First, my town does not have a fly shop, but guess what I do have. Yes, a Wal-Mart. I do not have a "local shop". The only ties I have to any fly shop is actually 70 miles away. It is located on my favorite river to fish. The owner got ill and closed the doors to work part time at another shop. I was quite upset. I have loyalty to those I can trust, not to conveniance. That shop always had what I wanted. The owner would order especially for me because he knew that it kept my confidence in him. Big chains will stock what they are told to stock. There is nothing wrong with were you spend your money. New people are finding this sport everyday. Most beginners want to test the waters before they purchase to dollar equipment. It is cheaper and easier for them to make a one-stop at Sportsmans Warehouse than it is to buy from a small buisness. Not always, but most of the time. All the big chains are doing is giving society what it wants. I say support the small guys.

I try to buy stuff from a local fly shop whenever possible. (I also avoid box stores and franchise restaurants as much as I can.) I think local businesses represent a way of life that I'd pay some extra money to preserve in my neighborhood.
    Here's a related question: suppose you are going to a distant location and need to buy fly gear or 'stuff'. Would you rather buy it at your local flyshop or at a shop near the destination?

+ Reply to Thread