+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Rod Epoxy?

Default First Rod Epoxy?

As per the good advise from this board I am almost finished with my first rod. It is a 9' 5 wt Forcast. Overall it looks good and I am excited to cast it.

The one problem I am having is that some of the epoxy on the thread wraps finished rough and look like there are 3 or 4 grains of sand on some of the wraps. Almost like sand paper with just a few grains of sand. I took my time and burned off the thread hairs, so I don't think thats it. It doesn't look like air bubbles when mangnified. I blew thru a straw to get the bubbles out and these are very small. I wonder if static could be attracting dust.

Any ideas?

It doesn't take very much of a thread fiber to get what you are describing, or even the smallest particle of dust can do it as well. All is not lost, however and it can be easily fixed.

You will need a piece of 2500 grit sandpaper or something that is very very fine like that. Very lightly sand the small bumps to get it smooth, and very lightly re coat it with the epoxy, or use perma gloss. Either one will get the results you are looking for

When I was building rods I planned on 2 coats of finish.
    I used Flex Coat lite. I didn't worry about fuzzies too much before the first coat...just made sure they weren't too bad. I put the first coat on thin, just covering the wraps. When that coat was dry I would shave off any fuzzies that were sticking up with a double edge razor blade making sure I didnt cut into the thread and taped the edge so I wouldn't cut into my finger.
    I tried to make the second coat a good as I could.
    When applying two coats make sure they are thin...
    The low places where the shaving took place fills in. You'll never know.

+ Reply to Thread