+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry fly bodies

Default Dry fly bodies

I've often wondered With natural Mayfly bodies being segmented, why do so many patterns copying them have dubbed bodies.

I don't know much about fly tying but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're looking at dun patterns much of the time. Ok, the knowledgeable tyers will be here in a minute ! Good post Ray, thanks !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Well if you want a segmented body try wrapping a turkey biot. I my opinion dubbed bodies are faster and easier to tie and you get a wider selection of colors. If the dubbed body is catching fish who cares if it is not segmented. I tie them with biots, dubbing and some with just thread. I try to keep things as simple as I can.

I think so many patterns use a dubbed body because it's so easy to use. You can also mix several shades of dubbing to fine tune the color or add sparkle. Plus the dubbing absorbs floatant easily.

When I want the segmented look on a dubbed body I use a slightly darker thread and a slightly lighter dubbing. I dub a tapered body from the thorax towards the tail, then I twist the thread tight by spinning the bobbin clockwise and wrap the thread in open spirals back towards the thorax. The result is an average of the dubbing and thread color with nice segmented look for very little effort.

Default Dubbed bodies

Dubbed bodies may have the appearance of segmentation if the dubbing is twisted tightly either on thread or with a dubbing loop. Or they may be ribbed with a variety of materials to give the appearance of segmentation etc.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Although dubbing can be segmented some, it still makes one wonder ... also, dubbing kinda gets wet and sinks (at least for me) after a short while .....

So ... going a bit more realistic (a bit) - for the local epheron hatch, I've tied some up like this

The extended body / tail is moose mane and a strip of foam overwrapped with nature silk. I've since segmented the body with grey 3/0 thread. I'm not sure about more / less successful than the dubbed / hackle body (just as effective) - however, changing / drying flies is less frequent ...... and that means more time actually fishing.

darrell,

Ray,
    I'm a fan of A.K. Best so I use a lot of stripped hackle quills for dry fly bodies. I don't think any other material looks as realistic because, as A.K. says, mayfly dun bodies are segmented and waxy. They are also very easy to use - just soak them in a glass of water before using them. However, unless you are an expert dyer (I am not) you are somewhat restricted in your choice of colors.
    Joe

nice fly darrell, what did you use for the wings?

In truth the fish don't care a bit. If a fish has been caught with a dubbed body fly he may not take that same fly again. Fish do get use to flies.
    You can use a Quill for the body or you can rib it with the thread being used to tie the fly with if it is the right color. Very easy to get a ribbed look. But like I said most fish don't give a rip. It is in the fishermans mind more than the fishes. You will catch more fish worrying about your presentation than if the fly is ribbed or not. Just my opinion. Ron

WWFF - the wings are gift wrapping stuff - the edge has a fine wire through it (this I use for leading edge of wing) and the rest is a fine mesh.
    The mesh wrap comes in different colors, however I went with silver as a permanent marker changes colors just fine.

+ Reply to Thread