+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly fishing around Wichita Falls Texas

Default Fly fishing around Wichita Falls Texas

Fly fishing around wichita falls texas ? We will be in wichitaw falls next week and i am wondering if there are any trout streams in the area ? keith

KEITH go to www.tpwd.state.tx.us web site and it will tell when and where for trout fishing in texas. I hope this helps. The donn

Keith,

I can't say specifically if there are any around Wichita Falls (I live in Ft. Worth (about an hour or so south)), but north Texas is not really a hot bed of trout fishing (our rivers get much too hot in summer). The main trout fishing watershead in Texas is the Guadalupe River which runs through San Antonio (6+ hrs. south of Wichita Falls). During the cold weather months the TPWD (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department) stocks rainbow trout in certain rivers (stocking schedule here[/url:c0b53]), but I'm not an expert on the locations listed though I do see at least one Wichita Falls area stocking location.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Kieth. No trout streams around Wichita Falls! But, They do have some bass and blue gill fishing close.

Norm

Keith,
    Your options are extremely limited. They are stocking rainbows in the Brazos below Possum Kingdom dam today (Dec . It should be about an hour and a half drive south of Wichita Falls. If your idea of fun is fishing a mile stretch of river with 2000 other guys, come on down. The TP&W site says Plum Lake in Wichita Falls was stocked this week, you could try that, or you might look at sand bass options on the Red River which is not far from Wichita Falls.
    Good luck.
    dw

thanks for the info !! keith

Wirebender,

If your after trout I think your probably better off going north into Oklahoma. Quartz Mountain State Park near Altus stocks trout and is probably a couple of hours away. I have never been there but someone here probably has. My preference is north of Tishamingo Oklahoma and is the Blue River. I think it has around 10-12 miles of public water and is stocked with trout, I would guess it is a couple of hours NE of Wichita. It is a beautiful river, here is a link for the yahoo group on the Blue River http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blueriverflyfishers/

I can probably get you some more info on the Blue if you're interested.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread