+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise Lights, Which One?

Default Vise Lights, Which One?

Well, I think I want to buy a vise light for my traveler vise. I have seen ones by McKenzie and Daylight but don't have any experience with then nor anyplace close to go look at them. So, for all you folks that have them what are your opinions?

Oh, one of the reasons I want it is that the wife and I are refurbishing an Airstream trailer which will transport us new fishing adventures and I want it for its size and portability. I know I could buy a small desk lamp too but think the vise light might be better for my purpose

Thanks,
    Dan

ozark:

I have two McKenzie Bright Lights; one on the bench and one in my travel kit and I love them. The Daylight looks like a nice lamp too but I've never seen one. I think your on-the-vise lamp versus desk lamp justification is right on. You can?t beat either of these lamps for portability and flexibility.

The knock you will hear on the McKenzie is halogen bulbs get hot. Yea I guess they do but I've never had an issue with mine; I'm not in the habit of touching hot bulbs. The other knock is they can be too bright when tying with flashy materials. This is true also but a little adjustment usually eliminates the problem. There are two different McKenzie lights, the Bright Light and the Vise Light. The Vise Light has a smaller bulb so the brightness issue may not be as big a problem with the Vise Light but I'm not sure.

Both McKenzie lights are distributed through Sci Anglers so they are readily available. I also know that the Bright Light bulbs are regular inexpensive halogen bulbs available just about anywhere "fine bulbs are sold" so IF you have one that goes ka-blooie, you can find one at Home Depot. That was something I considered when I chose a tying lamp especially when on the road. Of course you can buy a spare bulb for just about any tying lamp but the prices of some replacement bulbs for other lamps are downright frightening.

Some folks are also into the ?natural light? thing and the Daylight is advertised as a natural light bulb but in all honesty while I think the natural light thing has its merits; how a fly looks to me in natural light at the bench is a lot different than how it will look to a fish. So far all of my unnatural lights have served me just fine.

Good luck with whatever light you choose!

Normand Guest

Heres a lite that mounts to the vise post. Its called the "Tyers Spot Lite". Truely portable. Scrool to the bottom of the page. Click on the word "Photo" to see them.

http://www.linesend.com/product/tying_e ... ml#helpers

Saw a bunch of tyers using these at last years shows.

This light caught my eye...since it is a natural light one....I haven't seen a daylight one that attaches like that and is so compact...

http://us.daylightcompany.com/product.plm/18/50

I contacted Feather-craft and they called the Daylight Co. [who hadn't responded to my e-mail]....Feather-craft stated Daylight didn't know the wattage...but said it had double the output of a 10 watt halogen...also the bulb was not replaceable...that ought to settle that .... even though the bulb is supposed to last 20,000 hours.

Just a bit of info for those comparing lamps. The wattage doesn't mean anything unless you also know the type of light source. For example, a 13 watt compact fluorescent is about as bright as a 45 watt incandecent bulb.

To really compare lamps you need to find the light output in 'lumens' or 'foot candles'. You also need to compare the color spectrum. Lights that are high in the blue range (such as LED lamps) might be really bright but almost useless for tying.

This information is available on line or from the manufactor. A good deal of info is available at...

http://www.naturallighting.com

Halogen bulbs are very bright and compact, but they also put out a great deal of heat. One of the typical applications for halogen is in food service warming shelves.

After much research I settled on an 18 watt compact fluorescent made by 'Daylight' I am very pleased with it.

kengore I have a 13 watt Ott Light and it is much brighter than any 14 watt incandecent---Many use this light for reading sewing and fly tying,usually on sale at craft or sewing dept like Joe-Anns. A vise light can only be on a vise but the OTT would also be great in the Airstream for reading. My wife borrows mine often. BILL

Well folks I am still in the hunt but I did call the Daylight company about their light after ducksterman's post and it seems that there is a one year warranter and then if it goes out you just throw it away. I told them that that in itself was enough for me not to consider it. They have been having several calls of late and all were displease with the non-replaceable bulb and asked me to follow up with an e-mail that they could forward to the home office in England.

The LED light is a neat idea but like kengore said the light is very blue, unless these are different somehow. I have several headlamps and they are OK for general purpose but I think the color of the light would drive me nuts trying to tie.

Keep the comments coming!

Thanks,
    Dan

Just throwing this out from my experience. I have the desk top folding Daylight light and it serves my needs. I would like something a little better but, I can get by with the Daylight. The 13w bulb is replaceable. I have used it for over a year now and it has never failed. I would not recommed the "spot light" type of light for tying because there will be too many times, while tying, that your hand will be between the light and the "spot" and you will not be able to see what you are doing. You need something that "floods" the tying area. I have also tried the lights that mount on the vise stem and I always seemed to be bumping into it while tying. It just seemed to always be in my way. Just my thoughts based on having already purchased 4 different lights trying to find that "perfect" tying light!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

i have the table top day light lamp w/ base and clamp- i am very pleased w/ it. it seems perfect for my home tying area- but, i've been lookin' at the McKenzie vise light for portability and trips...

, R.

Be hard to tell you the number of lights I have gone through over the years. LOL I have went through two of the armed lights in the last few years.
    But here are the two that I use all the time and I think are great for tying.
    I have a Luxo Magnifying Lamp thatr I have had for at least 15 years. They are great lights for small flies and that is what I use mine for. You just can't beat them. Not cheap but in my mind worth the money. If I rmemember right this light runs about $125.00 or so.
    The other one I use all the time is a Table Top Daylight Lamp. I bought mine from Dan Baileys This is one of those true light lamps. IT has the lamp and a 1.75 magnification lens on another arm. It sets on the desk and is very heavy. I do not use the magification lens because of the Luxo lamp but it does work well. This lamp costs $89.99 and you can get it from Dan Baileys. With these two lamps you should do well with seeing. I wouldn't tie without them anymore. Ron

+ Reply to Thread