+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Blanks: Best Bang for you 100 Buck (or under)

Default Rod Blanks: Best Bang for you 100 Buck (or under)

Newbie here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This forum rocks & you guys are the best!

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

What are you going to be fishing for and what sort of action do you like? It might affect the answers. I'm also going to assume that you are looking for the blank only for your $100. Otherwise, Forecast kits from H&H are probably your best bet. In a nutshell, here are my preferences:

1) Dan Craft has some Sig V blanks on closeout. I have a 3/4 weight that is my favorite. A crisp mod/fast action. Other than the closeouts, some of his FT line is under $100. Another good line that is very versitile if you like a faster action. I've also heard some good comments on the Sig III line which is under $100. I've never cast a Sig III myself.

2) Batson (a sponsor here). They have their RX6 (Forecast) line. These are blanks that make nice decent moderate to mod/fast action rods. I like these a lot, especially for beginning fishermen or builders. This is the series I use to convince guys to move out of the $30 fly rod kits from WallyWorld. A good rod that won't break the bank. I love fishing their shorter blanks in 5 weight or less. Also they have RX7 blanks to choose from. A little faster, and a little lighter. And you can find RX8's on closeout for under $100 as well if you shop around. If you need some hints on where to look, give me a PM.

I haven't had a Batson product that I didn't like. Batson products would be my primary recommendation without knowing more specifics, especially for a new builder. And they are nice people. I've spoken with many of them on the phone, and even met a couple in person in Charlotte last year.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Wow! Thanks for the swift reply ol'blue!

I was thinking of a 9' 5wt 4pc (all purpose travel trout rod). I will definitely check the products out. Thanks again

Anybody else?

Great advice given!! That Dan Craft is one sweet casting rod for sure

If you want BANG! for the buck, Mudhole is currently selling "private label" blanks at a huge discount-- blanks normally $250 under the brand name as selling for $50. Their "G7+" and "G8+" are made by a major US brand-- they won't tell you who, but its not too hard to figure out. PM if you want to know more.

For non-sale banks, definately Dan Craft at that price point. As you push up to the $150 range, some really nice options become available.

I'm pretty well sold on the Forecast line of blanks. Really hard to beat from a bang for the buck category. Kick in the pants is that they are also great casting and fishing rods... Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Satchel
    I'm pretty well sold on the Forecast line of blanks. Really hard to beat from a bang for the buck category. Kick in the pants is that they are also great casting and fishing rods... Love them.
    Well then you best go check out the sale at Mudhole! If you like Forecast (Batson's low end blank), I bet you really like Rainshadow (Batson's high end blank). That is all I am going to say.

Thanks again for your kind responses!

As I was looking in the Cabela's website, I saw a Fenwick HMG complete rod building kit for $99. What do you guys think about this?

Boy, the more I research about these things the more I am undicided. Aargh

I think you need to buy one of those G7+ or G8+ blanks that Mudhole has on sale, along with a St Croix handle kit and a set of guides. You will spend LESS than you are currently looking at and own 5 times the rod.

TJ -

P.S. If you need some help figuring it out, PM me.

TJ,

PM sent & thanks!

JD

+ Reply to Thread