+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need your advises (newbie from Turkey)

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Welcome Murat,

Glad to have you with our group. I think that you have a very servicable fly outfit. You will find that you will become more and more comfortable with it as time passes. Use it for a season at least. Good luck with your fishing! 8T

Murat - grettings from down under and welcome. I loved your posts and look forward to hearing more from you, maybe helping you out a little if I can, but there are many more experienced fishers and tyers here than my humble self. By the way, I love your accent!

Re your query, I am not familiar with the rod BIIX but can assure you that in this country, a 9 foot six weight would be the perfect all round rod if you were to have only one. For starters anyway. The reel is the least important part unless your fish are the size of you! MAybe try a couple of different lines though, they will change the handling of your rod a lot. They can be expensive but you could maybe get a special from one of the sponsors or off the members here?

Cheers mate
    Chris
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Hi again.
    I found BIIX for 400 USD.
    Explanation for the rod is as follows;

"Winston Boron IIx 9', 6 Weight 4 Piece Fly Rod. This rod is an excellent choice for those looking for a fast action nymph/streamer fly rod with precise presentation. Stiff butt section with softer tip construction. Black anondized aluminum uplocking reel seat with woven graphite spacer. This rod is one of our demo rods for 2006 in excellent condition and does not include the factory lifetime warranty."

Should I but it or not?

I like the price if it is in good shape, I strongly dislike not having the warranty. You don't know what may constitute a "Demo" rod and it may have been abused and still look OK. If I was in T?rkei, my reason for buying a factory rod would be in large part the warranty and the relative certainty of quality--I don't think this has either.

Beautiful rod by all accounts though... if you have faith in the seller as mentioned above.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Welcome aboard and good fishing to you.

Hi Murat!

Welcome to your new addiction. It will take you a few years to get good, but you will find that it will be well worth it. Enjoy the path not the destination. Wear glasses (so you dont get a fly in your eye). Just have fun.

For some real advice, get someone who knows to teach you how to cast. Dont buy more gear until youve practiced a lot. Practice on grass. Distance is important (not parmount, but important). Presentation is key, but dont worry about that yet. It will come with time. Read as much as you can.

Ive heard Turkey is the greatest place!

All the best, -Migs

Migs,
    Your reply has to be one of the best I've ever read!
    Loved your advice!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thank you very much for all welcomes, advices and opinions. I'm happy to be a member of FAOL.

+ Reply to Thread