+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got Traditions?

Default Got Traditions?

Ladyfisher,
    I have to admit I've lost the joy of Christmas. This latest HOLIDAY talk has just about done it for me. I'm glad it is the birthday of Jesus. I'm VERY glad it's not MY birthday!
    A few years ago our families finally gave up giving expensive gifts. The last fun thing my EX wife's family did was to have everyone buy a gift at the Dollar Store and pick numbers to see what gift we would get. The FUNNY thing is that at least one of us tried to buy a gift certificate at the Dollar Store! I don't think the cashier was amused.
    My Son ended up with the dollar camera I bought. I asked him how he liked it and he said he HATED IT!
    I asked Joe why? and he said "IT DOESN'T HAVE FILM!"
    I said, "IT COST A DOLLAR!"
    So lighten things up some Christmas by trying this idea.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I don't think my kids would go for it Doug. And my wife would become yet another expensive ex wife, nar, cheaper in the long run to lash out a little.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I think that par tof the problme is the need people are feeling now for expensive gifts.

Our familes have decided not to spend that much. It is the gift and being rmeembered that is important.

My wife and I tend to give some hand made things away.

The reason for this season is not profits at the stores.
    The end of my rant.

Rick

nighthawk Guest

Rick,
    I fully agree with you. When I see the troops eating Christmas Dinner in the field it reminds me of those Christmases in the Army. They may not realize it now but those will be some of their thankful Christmas memories. Thankful to be alive, with your buddies and The Lord. I have never seen compassion, comradeship and love like I did on those Christmases.

I am all for traditional Christmases. My lanlord puts a big sign on the side of the house. "Jesus is the reason for the season".

I read some where lately that a pole was taken and one of the most popular gifts to give a relative is something you received from someone else at one time and kept it to give away to someone else again. I think we are probably all guilty of this little trick. I really think the receiver of this little plot doesn't find it hard to imagine just what is going on here however. Hint: Give a calendar, they don't re-circulate too well.

Jonezee,
    I believe that fruitcake is the main reason for this practice.

Mark

Marco - As I have mentioned before, I would be glad to receive a fruit cake...as long as I get to soak it in rum, brandy or Irish whiskey, it taste mighty good to me or a cold winters eve. Almost all adults in our family love coffee. We will often each buy a bag of roasted beans, wrap them and do the "pull the name from the hat" trick and fight over the coffee. Everyone knows my bag usually comes from the dollar store so it is often avoided until the last. Taste good to me!

+ Reply to Thread