+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your advises (newbie from Turkey)

Default I need your advises (newbie from Turkey)

First of all I would like to thank you to admins and all participators of this forum. I have been following the board for a long time as a visitor and I learned lots of things about fly fishing. It?s time to explain my needs and ask for your oppinions.
    Let me explain my situation;
    I?m a real beginner, I will be fishing for brown and rainbow trouts in a small river, stream and some ponds on them. Most of the time I will use dry flies and nymphs. I started with Cabelas Genesis combo (5 wt) (http://tinyurl.com/ylpmzy) ,I do not know why, but I did not feel comfortable with it, and I decided to change my line and rod. I ordered Cortland 555 High Floating "Dyna" Tip Fly Line (6 wt) . My questions are about a rod and I would be glad if you can add your opinions to them.
    I decided to buy BIIX 9? 6 wt. Acording to previous posts, I understand that it is a good rod for all conditions and a perfect rod for beginners to learn how to cast. Is there any advice on alternatives or should I stay with BIIX?
    Should I stay with factory rod or do I need a custome rod. Turkey is a quite far away to US and fly fishing is not popular here, I would not have a change to buy an another rod.
    If you advise me custom rod, which parts (for the rod and for the spares) should I ask from builder. Do you advise me any rod builder?
    Do I need to change my reel also?
    Thanks and Best Regards,
    Murat

Check this link....it may help you to make your posts more reader friendly

http://tinyurl.com/

nighthawk Guest

murat,
    sounds to me like you made a pretty good choice. The 6wt will handle just about anything you can catch for fresh water species. The 9ft rod may be a little on the long side for small rivers and streams but is a very good choice for open waters, ponds and lakes.

I have had several friends visit Turkey while in the U.S. Army and I hear that there are areas to fly fish in your country. Good for you and I am glad to see you giving it a try.

Merhaba Murat,

I spent 18 months at Incirlik Air Force Base (Adana) while in the US Air Force (1970-1972). I never got to fish while there, but I did go hunting for yaban domuzu (wild boar). That was very exciting. Turkey is rich in culture and history, and I especially enjoyed the food, ?ay, and kahve. The fistik dondurma was always a treat on a warm summer evening at Atat?rk Park in Adana. I would make many trips to Iskenderun, Antalya, Mersin, Silifke and other cities along the Mediterranean for fresh seafood and to relax by the sea. At one time I could speak Turkish quite well, but after more than 30 years most of that is gone.

Welcome to FAOL and please post pictures of the fish you catch with your fly rod. I'm sure many of us would like to see them. Send me a Private Message or e-mail so we can talk a little more about Turkey and fly fishing.

Allahaismarladik!

Josef Valen?i?

flyfishohio@yahoo.com
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Merhaba,

I don't think a custom rod is needed to start flyfishing. The custom rod may be cok guzel, but also cok para.

Turkey is an interesting country--I have been from Edirne to Van and it was always fascinating. Where are you located?

No need to change your reel. Have fun with your new rod.

I'm really happy to hear your friendly posts, I live in Ankara but I go to fishing to Kayseri which is close to Adana and there are very nice places for fly fishing. I'll send you pictures, but first I have learn fly fishing and catch some.
    Murat

Murat,
    I am happy to read your post! Tell me who got you interested in flyfishing?
    Is there anyone in your area that is a experienced flyfishing Instructor?
    My advice is to take ONE day at a time and have fun fishing! Spend some time observing the water you are going to fish. Learning about fish behavior is important in flyfishing.
    Take Care!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

My short fishing story;
    In 2000 one of my friend invited me to pike fishing. Before that time I even did not hold a fishing rod. After my first trip, I said, that is what I' was looking for my spare times. After each trip I loved more and more. But after a while I started to look for different fishing methods and fishes, because in pike fishing I feel like I'm picking up the fishes from the lake. I heard some nice stories from my friends about flyfishing. I did some searchs in the internet, and I realy liked the way of fishing. I realized that flyfishing is an endless adventure, every day I would learn some new things, and I would spend my off seasons for flytying. I joined some fishing cominities and forums in Turkey, but fly fishing is not popular here in Turkey. Actualy I met with some fly fishermens, they invited my for a flyfishing trips. I watched them and sticked to fly fishing. But I can say that I learned most of my fly fishing knowlege by reading the posts in FAO. You can be sure that I will have millions of questions about flyfishing.
    If you still have some friends in Turkey, I can invite them for my fishing trips.
    Murat

Default B11x

Hi newby, you have made an excellent choice, but if you are buying a rod from the internet, do not avoid a custom rod for a factory one, as they are some very nice builders who can provide you a rod with nicer components than a factory rod. Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread