+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A beautiful classic pattern

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default A beautiful classic pattern

I'm trying to figure out how to get pictures of flies with this new digital camera. I came across this beautiful pattern in an old copy of "Streamer Fly-Tying and Fishing" by Joseph D. Bates, Jr., published in 1950.

[/img]

It's called the Iris #1 Bucktail. I tied it just as it looked, but the colors did not come out on the picture like in real-life. The picture does not do this fly justice. It is one of the most striking-looking flies I've ever seen.

It was designed by Preston Jennings, who was a student of the then new (1920s-?)theory of refraction and reflection of light through a prism. He endeavored to dress his flies as the fish saw them. His concept of the breaking down of light as it passes through water is exhibited by the use of spectrum colors in his minnow imitations.

Iris #1 Bucktail

Thread: 6/0 Black
    Body: Flat silver tinsel
    Ribbing: Oval silver tinsel
    Wings: All bucktail-sparse red on the bottom, a bit more yellow above the red to predominate, sparse green next and topped with sparse blue.
    Cheeks: Jungle-cock (imitaion, in my case)

I haven't fished with it, yet, but I'm sure it will catch something. It's just almost too pretty to use!

I'll keep working with the camera. I think it's the exterior lighting (light bulb) that is throwing the color off.

Later,

Gig

Default Iris #1

That's odd! It won't let me post Jungle-Cock. Should I have said Male Jungle Chicken instead? (LOL)

Gig

It looks like you need to set the white balance.
    Have a look in the instructions for 'white balance' and the macro instructions. Usually the white balance is set against a white background. The colours should be true then. You shall have to use more lighting and set the camera for incandesent bulbs or whatever you are using.
    Looks like a nice fly, have a look on Global FlyFisher site, they have some very good streamer articles and I'm sure one is on Preston Jennings flies.
    http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/guest/jennings/

Did you try Jungle Cock?
    or Junglecock?

Very strange, a Victorian program perhaps.
    It's going to be awkward with a lot of dry fly recipes.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Gig..a VERY nice looking streamer!

I like it. Sometimes simplest is best.

Jeremy.

Default Iris # 1

Ok, I think maybe I've got this camera figured out (sort of). This is much closer to its true appearance.
    [/img]

That's more like it.

As an addendum, I tied a few up and went out this morning to Mill Creek (right behind the house). It was cold, rainy, and miserable weather. Usually in type of weather, the fish here are somewhat uncoopertive. I waded for about 45 mins and caught 2 Smallmouth Bass and one Brown Trout on the Iris #1. I had 5 or 6 fish (Brown Trout, I think) follow it closely without striking. They might have bit under differnt conditions.

All-in-all, not a bad pattern. I think Mr. Jennings might have been on to something.

Gig

Blog Entries

Nice pict, it just became my walpaper for this week.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

That's a good picture of a very nice fly Gig.
    I keep meaning to tie some more streamers but I've been a bit obsessed with Spiders. I think I'll try a few of Preston Jennings flies.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I have to say; I just love a simple elegant looking fly that catches fish. Some patterns with 3 different adhesives, 10 or more materials and 30 steps put a chill on my efforts... I'll try a few in my neck of the woods too....

Gig,

Nice fly and pic!! I just received a digital camera, kind of an early Christmas presant. Can I ask what did you use for the backgound?
    Snakeroll..

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeroll
    Gig,

Nice fly and pic!! I just received a digital camera, kind of an early Christmas presant. Can I ask what did you use for the backgound?
    Snakeroll..
    A piece of styrofoam-backed med. blue poster board from Wal-Mart. It ran about $2.00. I just cut it down to size and used finishing nails to attach it to the back of my portable fly-tying desk/station.

I took a lot a pictures before I got the settings right. I'm still not sure what they are. The hard part is holding the camera steady so that it doesn't blur. This camera won't fit on my tripod. It worked best if I didn't use the macro setting, and used the zoom instead. Then the camera flash didn't distort the colors so bad. I used the auto white adjustement to correct colors. I used the extra sharp setting and 7 mega pixels for the quality settings.

Good luck,

Gig

+ Reply to Thread