+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod building tools

Default Rod building tools

I once saw, on a website, a tool to make your own snake guides. It was a two piece block of metal in which you placed your own selection of wire material and somehow it formed the snake guide. I believe the form sold for around $40 and was able to make only one size guide, so one would need to purchase several, depending on your individual needs and rod specs.
    Problem is that I can not seem to locate this tool any longer. Can anyone help me locate this tool?

The Snakemaker by David LeClair? He w as selling them out of The Fly and Rod Room in Elbridge, NY in the 80's or 90's.

Default Snake maker

Golden Witch has them. You can also see the plans for making them yourself in the "Best of The Planing Board" Vol 1
    AgMD

Brookies

Check this out. I think this discussion will help you out.

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.p ... opic=12593

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I got mine from Dave LeClair a couple of years ago. At that time he only had the one size. It is pretty simple really. I got the 3 different center pins for helping to control the loop diameter, and modified the tool with different holes for the other sizes I use most frequently. As for wire, Dave sent me some piano wire that he uses and it works great! Various sizes of piano wire for different sizes of guides and you are almost there. the last thing that you really need, is a tool that will flatten the feet of the guide after they have been trimmed to length, and of course a dremmel tool for shaping and sharpening the ends of the guide feet so that you get a really good transition of the wrap over the guide feet.

Thanks everyone! I knew that you all would have the info I needed. I found helpful information in all posts.

My son and I are off to a Hockey game at Boston U today, and planning a few stops along the way at some fly shops in NH and MA. My own little hat trick, a day with my son, a hockey game, and fly shops.

+ Reply to Thread