+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a new fly rod, what can I do to keep it like new?

Default I have a new fly rod, what can I do to keep it like new?

Hello all, I?m new to this community and to fly fishing. I have been reading like mad however I have one question that may well have been answered in another place, I used the search and was unable to find an answer so ill post the question here.

I was given a new fly rod for my 21st birthday (along with my granddads old fly reel and his old fly?s). Now I know I can put candle wax on the joins in order to stop them sticking but I was wondering what else can I do before taking the rod on the water to help preserve it. Can you put anything onto the cork to help with cleaning in future that won?t effect the grip? Is there anything I can spray on the guides to give them an extra layer of protection to make cleaning easier in the future?

The crux of the post is ?I have a new fly rod, what can I do to keep it in good condition before taking it out on the water??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mu.

Mu,

Welcome aboard the FAOL Supertrain! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here and I know you'll learn a thing or two as well.

Good to hear that you want to take proper care of your new treasure. Regardless of price, all rods should receive proper care so they are in good shape when you you're ready to go fishing.

I'm no expert, but all I do is wipe down the rod paying attention to clean the eyes of anything that may have found its way into the nooks and crannies, dry the flyline to prevent mildew, and put it back in its protective sock and rod tube. I also keep my rods in the house to maintain a more consistent temperature range. Not sure how true it is, but I heard that freeze and thaw cylcles are not good for the graphite. When my cork handles get dirty, I use a little mild detergent and water to clean them, and allow them to air dry overnight before puting them in their tubes.

Other than that I just pay attention to how I walk with the rod and where I lean it so it does not get banged or knocked over. I'm sure you'll get lots of other great tips to go along with these.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thanks for the advice. From my reading it would seem that dirt on the line and bumps seem to be a rods worst enemy. As for the frost and thaw I don?t have to worry about that, I?m in Australia. My rods live in my wardrobe alongside my brewing equipment (Mead at the moment) so they have good company.

Mu.

DAILY CARE:
    Wash the fly rod, and line, after every day's fishing. This removes all gunk from the rod guides and line. I also brush out the reel (old toothbrush) to remove any grit from the inner workings).

Just need a soapy cloth to wipe down the surface areas on the fly rod (including cork handle) paying close attention to the guides, then wipe rod with a clean wet cloth, and soak the line in water.

Then just rewind the line, back onto the reel, running the line through a dry clean cloth rag.

You can store the rod inside the rod case, with the case open to ventilate.

PERIODIC CARE:
    When you are storing away for a long period, you can dress the line, with the line dressing, recommended by the line manufacturer. You can also lightly lubricate with a drop of oil, on moving parts inside the reel (just one drop, any excess is just an invitation to attracting grit into the workings).

WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT, it is designed to protect electrical curcuit boards surfaces from moisture!

There is a new product on the market and it is called Wonder Cloth. It is sold by Pins & Fins and it cost about $3 or 4 dollars. It is a really soft micro fiber that cleans cork and lines better than anything that I have found. You just wet the product wring it out and start cleaning. Check them out at www.pinsandfins.com and watch the videos. This is also great for wiping down the rod blank and getting into the eyelets and all. Enjoy.

After a trip I wipe the rod down with a terry cloth rag soaked in hot water and wrung out. I scrub the grip with it as well. I make sure it is completely dry before I put it back in its tube.
    Occasionally I will use a furniture dusting polish such as Pledge (right now I am using Kleen Gurard cuz it was cheaper) with a soft cloth.

Keep it away from open car doors ...
    Do not try to protect yourself from menacing trees with it ...
    Wipe it down with a clean damp cloth after each use ...
    Wipe down the line with a clean damp cloth after every use ...
    Use pure canning wax on the ferrules (candle wax could have pigments, perfumes, etc) ...
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

You didn't say what kind of a fly rod you got - Graphite, bamboo, glass? The required care is somewhat different for each one.

However, the suggestions that have already been made here are generally right on.

Assuming you got a new graphite rod, here's what I suggest:

1. Keep it clean. Wipe it off after each use with a soft cloth. Often, a damp cloth with water is all that is needed, or you can also use a mild detergent. Always be sure that the rod ferrules are clean, and there is no debris inside the female ferrule. Some people put a small quantity of bees wax on the male ferrule to help the rod sections stay in place, but this isn't generally necessary with most quality made rods these days, IMO.

2. Be careful with your casting. Poor casting techniques, or sometimes unavoidable things like wind, can cause a fly or lead weights to nick you rod blank. Periodically inspect your rod for such nicks in the blank. I believe that nicks that go through the finish and into the graphite fibers are one of the biggest causes of graphite rod breakage.

3. When not in use, always protect your rod by taking it apart and returning it to its protective tube. If you don't have a rod tube or a case, either buy or make yourself one. I'm as guilty as the next person about leaning my rod against a tree or the side of my truck when I finish fishing. I also often just take my rod apart and put it in the back of my truck when I'm returning from fishing at the end of the day. I won't tell you how many times I've broken rods kept in this manner, but it's a LOT! Proper storage of your rod when your not actually fishing with it is the MOST important thing you can do to take care of it, IMO.

Overall, rods are built to use, but not abuse, and if you take reasonably good care of it (but it doesn't requiring babying) you'll be able to give it to your grandson one day.

John

ps. -- Take even more care with those flies and reel from your grandfather. As the years go by you will appreciate them more and more.

After I clean my rod with warm soapy water I dry it and then once or twice a year I wax the blank and guides with a good car wax. It keeps it looking like new and makes it easier to clean next time. I wouldn't advise putting anything on the cork grip just clean it with a toothbrush and warm soapy water and let it air dry.

bkelly

Well, if you want to keep all dust, dirt and other grime off of it...you could just mount it in a case. That would be sure to keep it looking new!

-Pemi

+ Reply to Thread