+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tying desk/table/box

Default tying desk/table/box

anybody got suggestions for tying desk/table. i have looked at one at cabela's but don't know if that will do, limited space and way too much stuff???

Just a heads up...Do not buy the one with the flip down front from Cabela's... That top is a big pain where a pill can not reach if one wants to access the drawers while in the tying process....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

jlm,

Unless you are lucky like some of us and can devote a whole room/shop to this addiction, try just using a plain old desk.

Anything from a basic students desk, an executive desk, or a computer type can easily be adapted to fly tying. My personal 'favorite' for a compact tying station that doesn't look 'cluttered' is a nice roll top. You can just pull down the cover and it will look fine without having to 'clean up' each tying session. You can get one pretty reasonably at an 'unfinished' furniture store or a second hand shop.

Add some shelves or cupboards above for storageif you can, and you have a place large enough to tie on without feeling like you are on a TV tray.

In any event, while those cute little 'tying desks' are okay for a working area, you still need something to set them on, and you still need storage if you have any level of materials.

And, let's face it, having to 'set up' and 'pack up' your fly tying stuff is something that you CAN do each time, but it's not the optimum (did it for years before we had a house and were doing the 'apartment' thing-big pain in the behindish area). Ideally, you'll enjoy it more if you can walk up to the desk, sit down, choose the materials for the fly you want to tie, and start tying.

Just my opinion, of course.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

4. Default Fly Tying Desk

jlm,

One of our club members has a "Pro T.V. TYR" desk for sale. You can see the specs. on this desk at the "flytyingfurniture" web site under their catalog.

The desk is oak and retails for $800. They are asking $400 for this desk which is like new condition.

Check it and and see what you think.

Thanks and good luck!

Jack

Hey JLM,

I second the idea of a desk set up. The goodwill
    stores are full of them for very little cash outlay.
    Some have an amazing amount of storage built in. A
    hutch style back can be added if your handy with
    tools, expanding your storage considerably. Hanging
    file folders in a desk drawer can safely and neatly
    store a lot of feathers and materials and keep them
    close at hand. When your ready to equip a permanant
    tying room, take a look at the kitchen cabinet section of your builders supply. You can design a
    pretty nice setup to fit any space using the wide
    variety of cabinets and countertops for your custom
    designs.*G* Warm regards, Jim

6. Default Fly Tying Desk

jlm,

I just talked to my club member about the "T.V. Tyr" desk I mentioned to you earlier - it was sold this morning.

Thanks.
    Jack

I like to use a computer type desk with the pull-out keyboard tray. I set my vise up on the desk and the tray lets me keep a book, magazine, or the materials for the pattern I'm tying within easy reach but not in the way until I need them. A desk top organizer of some sort is an easy way to convert any desk into a tying desk at minimal cost.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Jack, you obviously don't have a fly tying surface that you use regularly now. Get something that you think will "fill the bill". It doesn't have to be a perfect fit (it never would be anyway) but it's a point where you can start. Your fly tying space will evolve as you grow in ability.

A few years ago we had a posting of fly tying areas. Some people had those mobile desks, some people had fixed desks, some had half a room and some had all the walls of their basement. I would care to bet that if you did a posting on this format and the flyanglers format everyone would be very happy to post pictures again. If you send me your email addy I would be happy to send you pix of my space. It involves a desk with upper drawers, a credenza and a box of drawers. I built them and they seem to be work out fine.

Times past I've seen a couple nifty ones that someone has hand made, for bid on e-Bay. Have not been over there in awhile so can't say what's there right now. However, I like the idea of a tying board, one that will fit the top of the hall closet, which holds most of my fly fishing/tying bric-a-brac.

I'm looking for one, too!

Dale

jlm,

You have a pm. It has nothing to do with your post. It is just something I was wondering about with where you live.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread