+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught Fishing

Default Caught Fishing

Last April, I called in sick to work because a friend of mine was going to Stanley Idaho after steelhead. If you have ever fished the East fork of the Salmon River, you know that the water level goes up with the weather improving. Because of this limited window, I had to go fishing. I meant to put on sunscreen, because I am very fair of skin and burn easy, but I was so busy catching fish I somehow forgot. Needless to say, I recieved a second degree burn on my casting hand. When I returned to work the fallowing monday, I gave the, "I was helping my wife prepare the garden story." to my credit I did help my wife with the garden for a couple of hours on that Saturday, not enough to get burnt though.

The story was met with sceptacism and I am a very lousy liar. I also have a reputation at work for thinking only about fishing and I burnt my hand the year before on one of my fishing trips.

The other time was last year also, I returned from church and my wife asked me, "Why did you take your fly rod?"

Do they have a support group for this type of behavior?

Anyone else get caught?

You need to learn to pack sungloves in your fishing bag!!!

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that ... I'm retired!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

You should have told them you were making chicken soup and because you were so sick and delerius you spilled it on your arm.
    Or, next time, you might want to wear long sleeves and gloves. lol.

Yes NderdaFilm, there is a support group, right here in FAOL. Fortunately, behaviour such as yours, inherant to fisherman of like ilks is not only supported but widely approved of within these walls. It's kind of like....what happens here...stays here.

There are tutorials for 'Fly Fishing Fibbing' and there is even some course work in 'Creative Fly Fishing Lying 101' and 'Emergency Excuses To Go Fishing 201, 202, 03 and 04' (Very important and useful). The links for either or any of these pages escape me at the moment. Good luck next year in Stanley.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

P.S. I think Betty
    and pspaint are onto
    something...you know,
    like protecting any
    exposed body parts
    from becoming burned !

This isn't so much a support group as it is an enablers emporium, but at least there's a good trade in cover stories to try out

I put the gloves in the same pocket as my fly box so I remember to put them on before I tie on my first fly.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Oh, yah, and ol bluegill wouldn't know NOTHIN' 'bout no enabling!!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I always wear a wide brim hat and long sleeves even in summer. I had neoprene gloves in my vest. I have trouble with fat fingers and the gloves make it worse. I just have to work on my kid in the candy store mentality.

I, too, am a lousy liar. To compensate for that I just go fishing and if my wife asks about it, I admit to the deed and promptly beg for her forgiveness. My theory is that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

BTW, since I own my business, playing hookey means I get to work longer hours for the next few days to get caught up. A double edged sword.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

The worst thing is when you start to tell a "story" and they laugh at you. Last time I was busted for fishing, by my wife, I felt like a six year old saying, "I never ate the cookies." when I have cookie crumbs all over my face. She basically said, "You are so stoopid to think you have to hide your fishing from me."

Betty--

What? Me? an enabler? Okay guilty as charged, but you've got to admit, you and Cary had way more fun fishing than you would have had painting some silly old kitchen!Or do you mean the thing about the 1wt rod, or maybe the tying stuff, or maybe....
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread