+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you fit a kid in waders?

1. Default How do you fit a kid in waders?

Hi!

I have a ten year-old fishing nut and he has the opportunity to go with a hard core friend on a fishing trip. I was told I need to get him some waders.

I started to investigate and it is not as simple as just looking at the sizing charts. He's about 5'1", 90 lbs. with a foot size of 8! Our friend suggested I purchase stockingfoot waders for him. What size do I go by? His foot size? His weight? Height? HELP!!!

I need to make this an early Christmas present and haven't had much help from the retailers. He's in between youth and adult sizes. I was thinking a woman's medium might be good but body shape-wise, would that be good? I JUST DON'T KNOW!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How about one foot at a time. Sorry I couldn't resist. Actually when you look at the wader charts, you go by foot size. Some also provide height and weight charts. Take a look at some of the sponsors here on FAOL. Hook & Hackle comes to mind and see if they sell youth size waders. If not I know LLBean has them and I think Cabelas does as well.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I am not sure if you are trying to make it a surprise or not but i think the best thing might be to take him to a store to try them on if you have any nearby.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I definitely agree with the above post about trying them on first. One good reason for getting stocking foot waders is that you can get the waders to fit the boy and boots to fit his feet. Finding bootfoot waders to fit well on both levels is difficult enough for most adults, but it can get really tough with kids. Also, If his feet grow faster than his body, or vice versa, then you only have to replace one component at a time. Just a few thoughts, hope they help.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Dear parisengle,

In all honesty just go to a big box retail sporting goods outlet and buy him the cheapest hipboots that fit his feet. The reality of the situation is this;

#1 - You don't want him in chest waders. Kids naturally push the envelope and chest waders on a 10 year old are a invitation to an accident in my opinion. #2 - What ever you buy him won't fit him a couple of months down the road. #3 - He's a boy, any type of rubbery fishing pants will make him happy as all get out, there is no need to spend big bucks on something he will quickly outgrow or ruin.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

I like the LL Beans Emergers. I have a pair that won't quit after 4 years. Not a single leak of any kind. Size would be a small. The shoe will be close, the body a little large, but he's growing, not shrinking. You'll get a few years out of them. Get a size 9 boot use with 2 pair of socks this year, one next year and then, back to the store .

Here is the link:
    http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ch&feat=sr

Enjoy!
    jed

>How about one foot at a time. Sorry I couldn't resist.<

Neither could I. I was going to suggest feet-first, but then I don't know your kid.

Hope you find a pair to fit,
    Will

I've been considering hipboots for my 10 year old daughter for all the reasons listed by Avalon. If I can't find them with felt soles, I may buy felt sole replacements or, if I can find the right texture, use scrap carpet for soles.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Duct tape and garbage bags work in a pinch. The kid may never forgive you though.

I almost forgot, sheet metal screws in the bottom of the sneakers. Wouldn't want the tyke to slip.

10. Default opinions of kid waders

Hi Again,

Well, I went to our local Sportsman's Warehouse and fitted him in Youth Large Stockingfoot Waders. They seemed to fit pretty well, but I can see that they wouldn't last too many months. They are pricey, so I have turned to online. The one outfit I talked to, didn't have any idea (seriously) how big the shoe size was for their extra large waders. If the large fit ok (he had a couple of inches below his rear area), would he be totally swimming in the extra large? I just want to get as much mileage out of these as possible.

+ Reply to Thread