+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter fishing in NY?-updated-

Default Winter fishing in NY?-updated-

Hello all,
    Well, believe it or not, after 30 years of fly fishing, I have never really fished in the winter months.
    Seems like I have always spent this time deer hunting and then turned to fly tying. I no longer hunt.
    So, here's my question: Any advice on flies to use this time of year? Tactics?
    I would assume - small AND slow....

Dear butternet-tyer,

Nymphs and streamers can produce well in the winter, but unless you hit a midge hatch you probably won't see much dry fly opportunity. Beadhead caddis larva and beadhead pheasant tail and gold ribbed hare's ear nymphs are some of my favorites. If the stream you are fishing has stoneflies then stonefly nymphs will work as well.

Make sure you read the regulations carefully. I'm pretty sure you will have to stick to certain streams as not all NY streams are open to year-round fishing.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Here's a link to the NY DEC site. Scroll down to the License and Regulations Information. The Freshwater Fishing Regulations Guide 2006-2008 is available on line.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/

Regards

Plenty of great water to fish during the winter. Where are you located? We have it much better up here in western NY : ) Once I know about where you live I could be of better help.

I don't live in NY anymore but I was fortunate enough to grow up in WNY. Winter fishing for steelhead on lake ontario and erie tributaries can be hot. Even if the weather isn't.

If you don't live near the great lakes, as others have mentioned, decent midge fishing can be found on some waters. Have fun

Default Season for trout?

I haven't lived in New York for years, but there used to be a season for trout that started April 1st and ended September 1st I think. I know steelhead fishing is done there now after the season, but if you're thinking trout I'd check on the regs. I know steelhead ARE trout by the way, but I'd be suprised if say the Ausable or Sarancac are open for fishing in the Winter. And if they were, it would be largely ice fishing I would think.
    Eric

Yes there is a traditional Trout season in NY that runs from April 1 to around Sept. 30 or Dec. 31 or somewhere in between depending on the stream/river. Some areas are however open year round and there are plenty of these to fish. You just need to check the regs book. I can't help buy laugh at the anglers who pack my local creek on April 1st when the creek is open year round.

Steelhead by the way are not Trout, nor are Rainbow Trout. They are actually a Pacific Salmon. Latin name is Oncorhynchus mykiss. Others in the Oncorhynchus Genus are the Chinook, Coho, Chum, Sockeye Salmon to name a few. Just some Cliffy Clavin type trivia to amaze and amuze your friends : )

Hi, I fish the Lake Erie tribs for steelhead as long as they are open. White bead head wolley buggers are the ticket, egg sucking leeches, glo bugs, stoneflies and in the spring the deer haired mouse is hot.

As long as there is no ice, you can usually catch a couple. It takes the boring part out of winter...
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Dear Board,

Steelhead are certainly an option, but Lake Erie is an awfully long haul from the land of Natty Bumpo where I'm guessing Butternut Tyer is from. Winter fishing in the Leatherstocking Region is pretty limited to ice fishing or a few special regulation streams that are open year round.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

If you are w/in 3 hrs of Pulaski,NY you owe it to yourself to give steelhead fishing a try. There are over 1/2 a dozen fly/ tackle shops in this little town. You'll find plenty of places to eat,it's right off 81, 1/2 hr north of Syracuse.
    The salmon river is a regulated flow system that is fished year round. Giant steelhead are in there right now and will winter over. The local shops will be happy to give you advice on where to go, what to use and the current water levels.
    I go whenever the wife lets me and its at best a 3-1/2 hr tour for me.Well worth the time highly reccomended 20lb steelhead are caught every year.

Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread