+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage lines for Sage reels???????????

Default Sage lines for Sage reels???????????

I have a Sage VT2 3wt and I want to get line for it. Sage makes a "performance Taper" that they advertise as "made for" their fast rods. The price is the same as Orvis' new Wonderline which I have on my other rods and like. Does anyone have any experience with the Sage lines? Will I be able to tell the difference between Sage and Orvis?

Also, since this is for my small stream and trout rod, I will be doing a lot of mending and roll casting. Is DT really better for this than WF? Is one or the other considered better for fast rods?

Thanks - Rick.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

I will say yes. INHO.

If you are doing a lot of mending at over 30' then the DT line is BETTER. What you don't want is to be mending (or roll casting) with the running line out of the rod tip. I that is NOT the case then WF or DT are the same. Most lines are made by either Cortland or SA anyway so if you are familiar with the Wonderline (probably made by SA) then get it, as opposed to the Sage line (probably made by SA).

I have the Sage Performance Taper on a 4wt, 5wt and a 6wt and I really like the way it performs. All of mine are WF. I have never used a 3wt or DT so I will not be any help to you there. As far as the line goes, I like it real well.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I think someone on this board once said...and I paraphrase....I like to buy my rods from rod makers and my lines from line makers....same for reels....Hhmmm food for thought

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H
    Most lines are made by either Cortland or SA anyway so if you are familiar with the Wonderline (probably made by SA) then get it, as opposed to the Sage line (probably made by SA).

Im pretty sure Sage lines are made buy Rio. Rio fly lines are great.

http://www.byrdultrafly.com/ulmyths.htm

Maybe you'd want to read the above; dispell some myths and error.....

"When Jerry Siem co-developed the Sage Quiet Taper WF1F line with Bruce Richards of 3M/Scientific Anglers for the Sage SPL rod family in 1997, the line's front taper was designed to be farther forward on..."

Sage has a new Quiet Taper II Double Taper line for 2007 that is made for light, traditional rods. As you'll read, Jerry Siem developed the TXL series of ultralites.....and, needed lines that would work well with them.

Regards, Jim

Ok Jim and PaGuy are both right LOL

The original Sage lines were made by SA, with Jerry working with Bruce. like the Quiet Taper/Performance Taper etc.
    I loved the original performance taper on my XP

Then Sage's parent bought Rio 12 months ago and the NEW '06-07 Sage lines are being made by RIO. Wasn't a lot of fanfare about the transition. But if your checking the new lines are designated II ie Performance Taper II

The original lines should be on sale
    Cheers
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread