+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage South Bend bamboo

Default Vintage South Bend bamboo

Just picked up a very nice South Bend bamboo. 3 pieces, blanks excellent condition, no significant bows and looks like all original hardware. Has been rewrapped but not professionally. Marked "8 1/2' 55." Beautiful dark-honey toned finish. Assume this is just another production rod with no significant value but on the other hand, thinking it could be easily refinished/restored. On the the other hand, refinishing/restortion would probably cost more than the rod is worth. Would welcome any comments.
    Thanks
    Crackleback Aka: Bob A

Default south bend

Bob, my 2 cents. If the rod is basically sound and just needs some new wraps and small stuff, do it and take it fishing. South Bend may not be up with Grangers, Leonard etc., but they are good "blue collar" rods. If this is your first foray into grass it will give you a good feel if you want to go further. Course ya could just send it too me and not have to worry bout it Enjoy it. Clyde

Hey Crackleback,
    I think that Clyde has probably given you good advice on what to do with your South Bend 55. You are pretty close to right with your thoughts but something for your consideration. I have been playing around with boo rods for a while, and over the past 4 to 5 years, I have seen the price of even the low end "production" rods go steadily higher and higher and I think that the supply and demand principle is hard at work here. I have a significant number of older rods that fall into that category and many of them I only paid a very few dollars for compared to what rods of the same vintage and maker are bringing in today's eBay environment. I don't see that changing in the future.

there are several things that you could do with your rod if you so desire, but understanding what each of them consist of important.

Restoration - IMHO means putting it back EXACTLY as it was originally made and using original parts when and where it is possible. This would take it back to as new condition.

Refinishing - Includes re wrapping, probably replacing some if not all guides, and a nice finish either dipped or hand brushed, to give it a nice protective finish

"Resurrection" - Certainly my own term as there isn't one in the business for it, would be to take the old rod, update it to higher standards in hardware and wraps, and fish it like it was meant to be fished

Repair - Just fixing what is wrong with it, if anything at all, and maybe touching up the wraps on the rod to ensure integrity of them.

In your words
    Just picked up a very nice South Bend bamboo. 3 pieces, blanks excellent condition, no significant bows and looks like all original hardware. Has been re wrapped but not professionally. Marked "8 1/2' 55." Beautiful dark-honey toned finish. Assume this is just another production rod with no significant value but on the other hand, thinking it could be easily refinished/restored. On the the other hand, refinishing/restoration would probably cost more than the rod is worth. Would welcome any comments.
    Thanks
    I don't think I would do anything with it until I had taken it fishing and determined if it was a rod that I wanted to keep in the arsenal. After all, if YOU don't like fishing it, others probably wouldn't either. But on the other hand, if you take it fishing and do like it, and plan on keeping it as a regular go-to stick, then I would consider one of the options, and either do it myself or get someone to handle it for you. Most of those older rods were heavy, but performed pretty well too. I have several South Bends right now, and I even make a new version of the South Bend 290, a very popular Wes Jordan taper, that people seem to just love.

(by the way - Thanks JC and Deanna for the spell checker!!!)

Crackleback - check out my refinished blue-collar rod swap post. Give refinishing a try. It's great fun!

Default refinish vintage South Bend bamboo

My thanks to Clyde, dleo and Jim. Appreciate your input, since I have absolutely no experience with boo. Rod seems to cast quite well with either a 5 or 6 wt line and the main reason I got it was because of its excellent condition. And dleo: yes, this rod does seem awfully heavy to me, but then I did not know what to expect. Anyhow, good input to consider. Thank you all.
    Crackleback (aka: Bob A)

I have a similar situation. My Dad just sent me a SB #57 9' 3/2 which arrived yesterday. This is my first boo. It is heavy! I would like to have it restored and fish it for steelhead. It dosen't need a lot of work but the guides need to be replaced. Looks like some of the guides were replaced but it was not done well at all. I don't want to practice restoring a first rod with this one. I understand that it is low end rod but it does have sentimental value. Where can I get this rod restored for a fair price?

Default old rod

KOA, If all it needs is rewrapping, thats a real easy fix. Go too the rod building section and check out the articles Al Campbell wrote. Go to the hardware store and get a wooden dowel or buy an arrow. You can use these to practice wraps on using cheap tying thread before you try it with silk. Theres a lot of us who are willing to help all we can. Just my plugged nickle comment

Clyde,
    As I stated, I don't want to practice on this rod. I did find somebody who will restore it for a very fair price.

Crackleback,

There's one option you haven't considered ... send it to me. I'll rewrap it, and fish it for you, and keep you advised on how it is. And I wouldn't charge you anything!! What cha think?
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner
    Crackleback,

There's one option you haven't considered ... send it to me. I'll rewrap it, and fish it for you, and keep you advised on how it is. And I wouldn't charge you anything!! What cha think?
    Betty
    Betty, what a deal! Now you have me thinking.
    Crackleback (Bob A)

+ Reply to Thread