+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever tied a fly you were completely satisfied with?

Default Have you ever tied a fly you were completely satisfied with?

I know I haven't. There is allways a hackle fiber out of place or a miniscule uneveness in the dubbing or whatever that will never be noticed by anyone when the fly is in use. It's particularly a problem with swap flies. I have to force myself not to tie five or six dozen to get one set that won't be any better or worse than twelve of the first thirteen or fourteen flies.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Almost all the flies I tie I am satisfied with. If I was not satisfied with them I would quite tying. I am satisfied that they are good enough to catch fish and I am satisfied I did as good as I can. Now if you asked have you ever tied a perfect fly? NO. I try to make each fly that I tie better than the one before it.

Good answer as long as it catches fish im satisfied with it. Good thing the fish are'nt as picky as we are.
    All you can do is try to strive for getting beter.
    im not shure there is such a thing as a flaw less fly.
    The better you get the more you scutinize.

Hi Rainbow Chaser,

I have never tied a perfect fly, but have tied a lot that I am satisfied with, and that I consider well tied. I try to make my flies look like the ones in the tying books that I think have excellent examples of patterns.

That said, once the fly is tied, I will fish it. A retired professional tier told me several years ago that we hobby tiers are just tying flies to fish with, and fish are not nearly so picky as are the flyfishermen that he used to sell flies to.

Thus, I am very satisfied with the good flies I tie. Perfectly satisfied...well...yes...when fishing. When fishing and I tie on a fly, I don't even notice whether is it "perfect" or not. The main thing it to get it on the leader, and get back to casting.

I am more picky about flies that go to swaps. Those I am probably never perfectly satisfied with. I do pick thru them some, and won't send one that I think is poorly tied, or has bad proportions.

I do like to try to neatly tie the flies I tie, and want them to be strongly tied so that they will stand up well when fishing.

Regards,

Gandolf

rainbow, RW here

Yes, every fly I ever caught a fish on. That spans 50 years and a lot of fish, so that amounts to quite a few flies. Always remember, ugly flies catch the most fish.

Later, RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

50/50. I find that the 50% that are plain ugly to me to be the best at catching fish. I give away the other half to unsuspecting fisherman. Either way, my flies hook them everytime.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I have tied flies which dissatisfied me. But I don't have to have perfection. I really enjoy tying flies and then catching a fish---the fish are lots less picky than the tier.

When I'm not catching fish, I guarantee it has to do with my selection of fly or presentation; not the quality of the tie.
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

i am satisfied with a great deal of the flies i tie. especially the dries and nymphs. i have tryed to tie grasshoppers and stonefly nymphs, and i couldnt tell what it was immitating after i am finished with it. i have tied a few good streamers, but most are un-even or lopsided. nothing the fish will notice, but its mainly my perfectionist attitude. i need to stop being a perfectionist!!!

I have accepted the fact that I am an imperfect human being and that I will always make flies that are less than perfect (I don't strive for perfection). Out of a dozen flies there might be 3-4 that are reasonably close in proportion, and the rest are "close enough" for my fly box or anyone elses. I have never had a fellow fly fisher turn down one of my free flies because it was not perfect, and I have never turned down a freebie coming my way for ANY reason.

Be thankful for the God given ability to be able to tie flies at all. Just think of all physically challenged folks who would love to be able to turn out just one imperfect fly, but are not able to. Accept yourself right where you are today, and be thankful.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

"Perfection is the enemy of Good"

+ Reply to Thread