+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: How many $600 -$700 rods do you own?

Jose, believe it or not I followed most of that....[and I liked the Jello thing ]...I didn't know how much you were baiting me...

You might be interested in this:

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/display_pag ... cf1fe65aa8

The first paragraph is a nutshell

It's turned into a certain amount of hype but some how I think there's something there ... and I do think it applies to rods...and since it doesn't translate to dollars...like competitive golf...no reason to make fly rods so sophisticated....

I will try Jose. when a shaft is struck the first 'harmonic' hits at the center of the shaft. The two 'second' ones happen between them and the ends, on the 'quarter' nodes. I personally prefer a rod which does not have it's joints at exactly these node points. I feel that a rod which spaces the ferrules between these points provides an overall smoother performing unit. By placing the joints between the nodes there can be achieved a dampening effect when designed correctly. This can be seen most easily on three piece and five piece rods. If one actually is aware of this, it may be more obvious. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    I will try Jose. when a shaft is struck the first 'harmonic' hits at the center of the shaft. The two 'second' ones happen between them and the ends, on the 'quarter' nodes. I personally prefer a rod which does not have it's joints at exactly these node points. I feel that a rod which spaces the ferrules between these points provides an overall smoother performing unit. By placing the joints between the nodes there can be achieved a dampening effect when designed correctly. This can be seen most easily on three piece and five piece rods. If one actually is aware of this, it may be more obvious. Good luck in your search.
    JC, why then aren't most high end rods offered in odd #'s

I've read these posts about "how many $600,$700 rods do you own" with interest.
    I say there is a butt for every seat, and put it in perspective.
    $700 for a fly rod doen't seem so much now.
    Check this out. I can pretty much guess what most of the answers will be, so let's have some fun.
    http://video-games.attr-search.ebay.com ... cQ20PS3Q29

Ralph, That does add an interesting perspective, and really hits home. Every time my son asks me to buy him the latest one of these because it is soooo much better, I remind him of all the fly rods dad is waiting to buy just as soon as college is paid off.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Most cash laid out was $250.00 dollars for a single rod.....I've spent a whole $300.00 for 9 Bamboo rods on ebay once.

I own rods worth many times that,But I'd never pay that much for any rod.

IMHO.. It's a simple ego trip for those who do pay more,Than a couple hundered dollars, For a single rod.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billknepp
    IMHO.. It's a simple ego trip for those who do pay more,Than a couple hundered dollars, For a single rod.

I guess I have to check my ego

As many as I feel are valuable to me.

Default Re: How many $600 -$700 rods do you own?

After looking through the closset I found I have 3 over 600 and one over 700. but it seems the ones I use the most cost half that. Why do I use the cheaper ones more ,....... not sure. I also checked the quality of the rods against each other for instance the wraps are much better on the more costly rods also better real seats what suprised me is the cork. Some of the rods I have in the 200 to 250 ranger have better cork then my 650 rods and one company came real close to that wraps of the more costly rods and it was under 250. Just some more fuel for the fire.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Default Re: How many $600 -$700 rods do you own?

It's what I do. I work hard and treasure the time I get to fish. Some people have no qualms about buying a Harley when their car will do or buying a bass boat (with insurance, gas...) to use 5 times a year when a rental will do and be far cheaper.
    Some people will scrimp and save every dime they get only to get hit by a bus and not enjoy one red cent of their riches.
    If I only fished one or two weeks out of the year I would probably have a far different outlook on the cost.
    As it stands now, I know from history I can get the exact rod I want at the time, use it with complete satisfaction and enjoyment for years then sell it later if I want at very little loss or even at a profit. How, pray tell, can you beat that?

+ Reply to Thread