+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just tried Cane....why the wiggle???

Default Just tried Cane....why the wiggle???

Just bought a couple old bamboo rods.....one for looks and one to fix up to fish with maybe. I have been casting in the yard and need some tips. I am a medium action guy and like slow casting but I can't seem to get the tip wiggle out of my casting. Is this normal? The only way I have found is to slow the cast down to nothing and just double haul to move the line. Surely hauling isn't the only way to throw line, is it?

Help me please, Barry

Do you mean that the tip is flexing more than you'd like? A lot of the old rods had a much slower "action" than people who usually fish graphite are used to. A lot of the production rods (Montague, H.I., South Bend) were known for this. The Leonard's are pretty "whippy" as well. My suggestion would be just to slow down your cast some and let the rod do the work. You may also want to try a lighter line (that will stop the rod from flexing quite so much). Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

Joe,

Thanks....I have tried slowing down. I don't know if I can go slower The wiggle comes after the stop and the end of the forward cast. The line has two "humps" that roll down the line as well after the stop. Kinda funny.

Barry

Barry- when casting cane, I find that if I squeeze the grip a little firmer on the forward stroke the waves just about disappear. It's become second nature to me now.

Chuck

It's normal,,, enjoy it.

one of two things will happen:
    1. it will always occur and you will become accustomed to it.
    2. over time you will adapt your casting style to the rod and the wiggle might disappear.

Thanks for the suggestions.....I have made progress. I think it was a combination of style and equipment. I tested a new Diamondback rod at the local shop and got the similar thing in my casting. I know I have to cast cane slower but I was still "flicking" to much and trying to shoot the line at the end of the forward cast. The result was a couple of tip bounces and wiggles going down the line. After a few minutes I was able to get it out someway. Mainly a technique problem.

On my own rod I decided to re-build the worst one. I stripped it down, cut off the heavy grip and funky ferrule system. I replaced the guides and re-glued the ferrules and polished them inside and out. I installed a new reel seat and cork. I lost about 9" of length but the new length of 7'3" feels great casting a 5wt line. I can't believe the difference. The rod feels just as nice as the new one at the shop. I am totally pleased. I just fished it today and I love it. Can't wait to get back on the water with it.

Thanks again, Barry

Barry,

Cane rods must be cast a bit differently than graphite rods as well. They are not as forgiving of shocking the rod due to the weight of the material. They require a smooth loading over a longer distance. Overpowering or uneven acceleration will cause the rod tip to dip and bounce at the end of the stroke and throw waves in your line. Also, you should finish the stroke with less of a pendulum motion and more of a foreward and back "stabbing" motion. This causes excess energy to straighten the rod rather than dip the tip. Lefty Kreh described this as imagining you're sticking the tip in a dart board. Last but certainly not least, you should remember the material itself is not magic. Many old $10 fishing poles are still just that... $10 fishing poles. Remember, all fly rods were at one time made from cane, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Bill O.

+ Reply to Thread