+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preserving fox/squirrel tails

Default Preserving fox/squirrel tails

What do you have to do to preserve a fox or squirrel tail? I have no idea what to do.

I normally hang them butt down from my wife's clothesline for a week or two, then bag 'em and put 'em in the freezer till needed.

I put some Borax on the butt of the tail and let them dry outside for about 2 weeks. I then bag them in Plastic Zip bags and put them with my other materials. The Borax will help dry out any fluid in the meat left on the butt of the tail. In two weeks out side the meat and fluid will be all dried up and not atract any bugs you do not want. I would also suggest putting something like moth crystals or a flea color in with them for a time. Just to make sure. Good Tying. Ron

I agree with the drying suggestions, there is no need to de-bone. I add that they will look better and be easier to work with if you give them a shampoo and cream rinse before putting them away. They will really shine, be softer and fluffier (honestly!).

Hhmmm, I do lots of squirrel tails but no fox....don't you have to debone a fox tail?.....note he didn't say fox squirrel

That covers the squirrel tails, what about red fox tails?

Clean any blood,dirt etc dry and use-----BILL

You debone the tails of a Fox. Easy to do. If the tail is still attached to the body you cut a slit in the underside of the tail and then go over the tail bone with you knife so that you have the skin lose all the way around the tail bone. Now just take your fingers and hold the tail bone in a circle of your fingers and pull on the bone. It should come out. They make a tool for this but it can be done with you hands. Next slit the tail down until you get to the bottom of the bone area. Now just put Borax in it and let it dry for a few weeks. Thats all there is to it.
    Most everything you will use can be handled the same way. Make sure to get the fat and meat off the skin then Borax it and let it dry. Good Tying. Ron

for the squirrels i just cut the tails off the skwerl and sit it in my garage to dry out. i dont add anything or put any chemicls on it. just sinply air dry it.

I just immediately put in freezer. Got a couple of whole squirrel bodies in there now, gonna use an electric bread trimmer on to make a mound of dubbing.

+ Reply to Thread