+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Casting Injuries?

Default Fly Casting Injuries?

Just curious as to what types of injuries to joints and muscles can develope.
    I'm only 42 so I shouldn't get them yet.Just wondering what to look for from the experienced guys and gals that may have injuries that were from long time fly casting.Also what ways are there to prevent those types of injuries.
    Thanks
    Rich

Eye injuries.One of the worse,pulling the lure from a tree or brush.

Hi noluck, I have had to have corective surgery on my casting arm elbow and I am only 40! I do however fish fairly big rods in big rivers with heavy nymphs. The original injury was from falling over while chasing a fish downstream but the Doc said it would not get better unless I stoped fishing and golfing for at least 6 months. I didn't and my elbow lasted 4 years (of constant pain) before I gave up and had an op to fix it.
    It still worked out better than giving up for 6 months as I could fish again within 3 months of the op.
    I have seen many anglers on the Tongariro river on windy days with flys stuck in there face or neck and that has got to hurt!
    All the best.
    Mike.

Default oww.

Well
    Im on 13 and i have had my share of injure's!
    Once when i was fishing with a bass lure i got a bite and it was kind of dark and me and my dad were getting ready to back up and go home when i got a huge bit and i had a bass lure on so i was glad! i had never caught a bass before and my rod had never bend that much before and i new it was a big one and then i yanked it to hook it for good! when i did........ it slid out of the fish's mouth and on to my arm and in the hook went! i didn't feel it at first but as soon as we went over to are neighbors who was an experinced crappie fisher who had. had many hooks in his arm's or face and he new how to get it out! so.... out came the plyers and a mothers arm to hold when the hook and barb is being pinced so it could slide threw slowly and more easier! and i didn't cry but i screamed! and that was my injury

FisherKid93,
    You must make your Father proud! Your story was very good about your injury. I want to tell you something very important and that is, PINCH down the barbs on your hooks with pliers or forceps.
    Hooks penetrate your skin easily but the barb is the problem. I never regretted pinching my barbs down and have never noticed that I lose fish because of it.
    Your a Great Kid!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Tennis elbow isn't necessarily from tennis, and rotator cup injuries aren't just from golf, and carpal tendon problems aren't just from using the computer. Not getting into the bad knees.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Lateral Epicondylitis. You prevent them by hitting the gym.

KOA1 - if you've got some excerises for the Carpal
    Tunnel I'd sure like to hear/see them. Please?

Blog Entries

The only thing that I have ever injured while fly casting was my pride. Well, that and a lot of trees.

Normand Guest

I have "Trigger Finger". I can close my hand into a fist but then a couple of fingers lock into a close position and I need to open them with my other hand to straighten them out.

Its a problem in my casting hand.

Surgery helps to get rid of it.

+ Reply to Thread