+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading using sandals

Default Wading using sandals

Waded my favorite local river (Elk) in southern middle Tennessee last weekend - wore my chest waders, boots, etc. I got overheated and had difficulty getting my composure when leaving the water. I have a pair of wading sandals (never used) that would be much cooler to wade in. My concern is bare feet and toes in the river - leeches, turtles, snakes, etc,? May sound silly but I have concerns. Would appreciate your experiences and advice.

Blues46, Are you not wearing breathable or lightweight waders? That would be the best option. Another is to wear a pair of wading shoes with heavy socks and no waders.

Al

Since you already have the sandals, try it.
    I've been wet-wading in sandals for 5 years now. My river has many turtles (painted and snapping) and I'm sure there are leeches. I have yet to experience anything more uncomfortable than stubbing my toe on a rock. Come to think of it I did have a small, but very ambitious, crawdad pinch me once. But he decided I wasn't worth the effort.

Lux

Try a pair of the slipover neoprene (sp) socks. Simms, as well as others make them. I used them when I was in Tennessee and loved them.

All the protection, none of the heat.

Ken

I wade in sandals as soon as it's warm enough too. Never had a problem but my buddy stepped on a sharp rusty fencepost and it ruined his whole season, so be careful.

If you prefer the protection of boots, wear your wading boots without waders.

While they are in the water, they are nearly as cool as sandals because the cool water will flow right through them. They will be warmer out of the water, but just taking off the waders will make a huge difference.

I wade in sandals during the summer here if I'm not on a tailwater. I've found the the old sandals I have for wading actually have pretty good grip on the rocks.

I recommend using the neoprene socks like the Simms "Guard Socks" with your normal wading boots. I have worn these for years when wading Texas rivers in the heat of the summer and stay comfortable.

If I was going to be in and out of a canoe or something, I would probably opt for some sort of sandal, but after breaking a toe while wearing sandals, I'll go ahead and protect my feet while wading.

You also won't sunburn the top of your feet or run as much chance of getting poison ivy on that tender skin if you're wearing the boot and guard sock combo.

Also, if the water's cold, you can wear those neoprene socks up on your calves instead of down over the boot tops for some added warmth. This can work really well in the small streams in the Rockies in the summer.

In regard to all the creepy crawlies out there, snakes and turtles aren't a threat. I have never had a problem with a turtle, and only rarely will a snake swim out to check me out, and those are easy enough to get away from. Just start moving away and they will usually give up. All they're trying to do is figure out what you are, they aren't on the attack. If leeches are a concern for you (they are in one pond I fish at the right time of year), wear light-weight pants and tuck the legs into your socks. Looks goofy, sure- but leeches aren't a problem any more. I wear Columbia zip-off pants/shorts when if I tube fish, so if leeches are going to bug me, I just leave the legs on instead of zipping them off. Hope this helps, good luck.

I've been sandal-wet wading a few times here in Ontario already this year. I like a pair of wool socks under my sandals. Like OB, sometimes I wear pants tucked into my socks.

Chota makes some nice wading socks that I would like to try.

+ Reply to Thread