+ Reply to Thread

Thread: landing a fish

Default landing a fish

When I finally hook a large trout and fight it for a while I can never seem to land it. I am the master of the LDR. (Long Distance Release) The stream I fish is barbless and all it takes is a jump or a good shake of the head and they get off. I mostly am nymphing right now but still notice it when fishing dry. Usually nothing bigger than a #14 hook up to size #20. any suggestions? Thanks

p.s. i use a 5/6 weight rod if that makes any difference

[This message has been edited by sacfisher (edited 15 May 2005).]

JC,

Good comment. You'd mentionned downtream fish in another post and I see the wisdom in your observations.

IMHO, we can'y always cast upstream (although, I prefer that too).

One way to get the classic Set in the Hinge" is to wait that half a second more before setting the hook.

This gives the fish time to "take 'n turn".

my 0.02$

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:9da4b]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:9da4b]
    Christopher Chin

I start out casting upstream and let it drift. I cannot remember where i hooked up but I think i can't be hooking up down stream all the time. I can usually bring in a smaller trout. I think the biggest one I've landed was about 16". I hooked into a trout about 20" this weekend and he got off wmen he jumped. I hooked into another I didn't get to see him but felt as heavy as the other and he got off as well. I am pretty sure I hooked them mostly upstream if not right out in front of me. Any other suggestions????

I concur with JC's advice about hooking them upstream for a superior hookset. When fishing downstream, you might want to try the 90 degree angle technique: keep a 90 between your rod and line while following the fly through the drift. This will give the fish some cushion to hook itself before you sweep the rod to drive the hook home.

Make sure your hook is always super sharp. If its not, it won't penetrate nearly as deep and will be more likely to come out.

Almost goes without saying, but always make sure there is a bend in your rod while playing a fish.

Sac,

Also,

On connection, do you try to get the fish "onto the reel" ??

Some do, some don't.

Point is, while it's fun to fight from the reel, if you can't keep tension on the line during the spoolup of slack, you can lose one there.

On many trout, I'll just strip instead of reeling. You can get some nice deep burns from the line if they decide to run, (keep your fingers wet), but it helps me from losing SOME fish. (although I too am pretty good at long line releases).

You just have to look up, ... is anyone is looking, you pretend you want to do it.
    Christopher Chin

Thanks guys for the tips. I guess practice makes perfect.

------------------
    That being said.... Lets fish.

[This message has been edited by sacfisher (edited 16 May 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread