+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $ Custom vs Factory Rods

Default $ Custom vs Factory Rods

I asked about factory and custom rods some time ago...the consensus, as I interpreted it, was the factory was the winner...

In terms of dollars how much more would you pay for a factory rod vs a custom made rod?...let's say the factory retails for $650?

Anyone want to go the other way?

Normand Guest

Please define "custom"!

Exotic woods?

Etched reel seats?

Agate stripping guides?

Graphite?

Bamboo?

Etc!

Good question...

Let's just say a graphite with custom components equivalent to the factory rod.

A custom with the really high end stuff would be worth another discussion.

I vote for the one that will catch more fishies for me. Cost is irrelevent if the goal is met. Please advise which does the better job of catching fish so I can place my order for one. I'm having a heck of a time catching good numbers of fish with the ones I have now (all factory). There's GOT to be "fish catching" rod out there for me.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I build my own rods so I might be a bit prejudiced. Figure a mark-up of 50% or better on the factory rod.
    For $325 you could pick a nice name blank, top of the line components and have someone cobble it together for you for probably a $100 less than the cost of the factory rod. If I had $650 to spend on components, I can see the real gold guides and the rare exotic wood real seat, maybe if I win the lottery.

Joe:
    There ain't no such thing, but with a good custom rod built to your fishing style, it would be more enjoyable. Would't it be nice to have a grip that actually fit your hand.

Default Custom rod for Joe

Joe

Your new 7' 6" 5 wt hollow built bamboo rod will be delivered to you at your show in January. You do still tell everyone that my rod make even you look good, don't you?

fishbum

I love custom rods and own 4 of them. With all of them - the price was considerably less than the comparable factory rod. Example: My favorite rod is built on a St. Croix SCIII blank. That's the same blank the SC Avid is built on. My rod cost $180 and an avid at the time cost a bit over $200. I got to pick the thread colors, guides, reel seat/wood insert, and grip style. It turned out beautiful and puts the factory built rod to shame. Plus I got exactly what I wanted.

There are disadvantages to custom though. No lifetime warranty generally. That's a big one. The better blanks will be lifetime guaranteed but you still have to have the rod rebuilt. Plus you have to get the right builder. I've used three builders. Two of the builders were wonderful craftsman but one was not.

But to me they are worth the disadvantages. Having a rod built for YOU with your name on it is a wonderful thing. At least to me.

So to answer the original question: I would actually be willing to pay more for the CUSTOM rod - but I've never had to do that.

Greg

I'm right there Philly's take on rod costs. I think its definately more cost effective on the higher end rods. I build and sell as a hobby, and I usually charge a flat $225 over the cost of the blank. That includes a component set that is nicer that what you find on high end factory rods. Obviously I won't compete with the mid or low end rods. For example I can build an Avid that retails for $200 and I'd sell it for $325. The difference is that you get better components and a better build. That brings up one point to keep in mind-- Most custom builders who have been doing it for a while will always give you a better build than a factory rod.

So this begs the question-- if you are going to spend over $500 on a rod, why would you NOT want a custom? Warranty? Ok, that's valid, what else?

I am by no means an expert on judging a fly rod. Take this for what it's worth.

I just bought a custom Sage VT2 8 weight 9'6" built by Alaska Interior Custom Rods. $315 shipped. I got to pick my own hardware and wrap design. My name was also painted on the rod. That's just a nice touch.

It's twice the rod as my White River and has definitely improved my casting.

So, in a nutshell, I saved $100 from the factory price, got a smokin rod, customized that casts like a dream!

I did my research on the guy who built the rod, he is top notch and I am planning to have another rod built by him next year.

But if a smokin deal on a factory rod came along, I'd go with that too!

Remember, I'm not a rod expert by any means!
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by taoski
    So this begs the question-- if you are going to spend over $500 on a rod, why would you NOT want a custom? Warranty? Ok, that's valid, what else?

Resale value????

+ Reply to Thread