+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FRUIT CAKE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    DShock, I was gonna answer with JERK!!!!! luckily I read your post first. ha ha

I loves fruitcake, My Mother-in-law makes lots of them around August. There are about 20 cakes in all. There is one for each family and kid. (9 kids in her family) She wraps them in cheeze cloth and soaks them with rum and orange brandy. Each month until the week before Christmas they are taken out and re-soaked It is a huge event when we finally get to try the new cakes for that year. It is one of those special treats that make Christmas so special in our house.
    my family has much the same cake making traditions. There is nothing better than my Grand mother-in-law (is that actually a term?) rum fruit cake. We had one last year that was so strong we almost had to show ID to try it. mmm mmm...

Didn't some of our Grandmas used to have Stills?
    Is that where the habit of soaking the cake in Liquor came from?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention that at the soaking of the cakes ceremonys we would all get a sip or two of either the Orange brandy or the rum. We would make a night of it, the whole clan gathering for the sport. We'd all bundle up, go outside and light a big bonfire in the backyard, drink the remainder of the rum and brandy and sit around telling lies. My mother in law Dorothy, was always there to supervise making sure a correct amount got on the cakes. She knew instinctivly that without supervision the cakes probably wouldnt have even gotten a splash. I always had My rum with a cup of coffee. Some of the braver more foolhardy souls would drink it straight. As you can imagine the lies got bigger and the crowd got louder as the night wore on. Many of our neighbors would see the fire and attend with their hoards of Children. It was on occasion quite an event. Television cut back on attendance in the 1970's. In the 1980's The City fathers in their wisdom took away our right to have back yard bonfires. Us kids grew up and some of us moved away myself included. I am back now and my wife and I try to carry on the traditions as much as we can. The Cake soaking event is now held indoors now but is a shadow of its former glory. Once in a while the kids, all grown up now will show up by chance on the correct night and we re-live some of the old tales when the family clan was so strong. Times change, I doubt that you could get a whole neighborhood out around a bonfire anymore to just to pour some rum on fruitcake. Mores the Pity!
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

DShock - Les Stroud (and crew) always prepare info for survival on the area he heads into for his 7 days ....... ah well ............ should lay out some fruitcake for him to re-coop his energy - if we could find where he's heading to ..... or would that be animal cruelty if a bear or other scavenger come across it ??? nah - he'd likely stay out of the area ............

No I'm not much for fruit cake ...... although ...... soaked in rum / or scotch ..... maybe a pint of vodka in the mix ..... could be coaxed to thinkin it's steak and lobster .......

I cant stand fruit cake . Back a few years ago a friend shared some home maid fruit cake.All of us 6 to be exact got a big healthy dose of food poison .I think we should wrap it all up and send it to Iraq for the insurgence and taliban ... if we drop it on um it could kill them and if they eat it it " will " kill them .... lmao

I really like fruit cake with coffee--yum, yum.

I don't there is a chance in H--- that I could ever get food poisoning from fruitcake!
    Doug P.S. Maybe Pumpkin Cake!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Grandpa Parks Fruit Cake recipe.
    One very generous sized fruit cake.
    One very generous sized bottle of Irish Whiskey
    Put fruit cake on double layer of tin foil
    make a moat with foil around cake.
    Pour a very generous sized portion of Irish Whiskey over the cake and allow to soak in.
    Pour a very generous sized glass of Irish Whiskey and drink while generous sized portion of Irish Whiskey is soaking in. If you have any Irish Whiskey left, divide on to cake and into glass. While folding the foil over the cake, finish the glass of whiskey (drink it).
    Place wraped, soaked, Fruit Cake in back of refrigerator and wait as long as you can and then consume the cake. As I recall this can lead to a very long nap or a very talkative evening. Enjoy. Jonezee

In memory of my best friend, Grandpa

I think Grandpa had it right. Make sure there's plenty of good Irish Whiskey available before cooking. When the fruit cake is done so are you. I love it. Thanks for the post (I bet Grandpa would have got a kick out of it)

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ny angler
    I cant stand fruit cake . Back a few years ago a friend shared some home maid fruit cake.All of us 6 to be exact got a big healthy dose of food poison .I think we should wrap it all up and send it to Iraq for the insurgence and taliban ... if we drop it on um it could kill them and if they eat it it " will " kill them .... lmao
    That would result in a court martial of the bomber crews for violations of the Geneva Convention.

Seriously, you haven't lived until you eat a home made fruit cake wrapped and marinated in rum soaked cloth. They taste great and by the end of the third slice you don't care what they taste like!

+ Reply to Thread