+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Montana/Wyoming Fishing Trip

Default Montana/Wyoming Fishing Trip

My nephew from NJ and I(CA) would like to visit Montana/Wyoming next year to do some trout fishing. We are looking to fish a few different streams/rivers while we are there. We plan to spend about a week(will rent a vehicle). We are just beginning to do the research for the trip.

I would like to get some thoughts from the members in regards to what area(s)we should focus on for fishing, the time of year we should target, and possible locations to stay at.

Our main focus is to experience the area and fish.

I must suggest Rock Creek, anywhere on the 50+ miles of pristine waters I guarantee that you will get into fish, not to mention great scenery. Anytime after spring runoff ends is great, which should be about the time you head out here, try Rock Creek Cabins for a rental or there are a few B & B's up there too or you can stay here in town (Missoula) and hit my other favorite river the Bitterroot, the reason I suggest the Bitterroot second is that, it's the best for dry fly fishing but with all dry fly fishing you arent guaranteed to fool any fish as most are heavily fished, my solution take a scenic Bitterroot drive south and hit the West Fork which is much like Rock Creek. Then head on down to Bozeman for a few nights hit the Gallatin, Firehole, and Madison (maybe the Jefferson too) but my favorite in Bozeman is definatly the Gallatin from there hit YNP and on into Wyoming, which is a state I have never fished.
    Rick

You really cant go wrong with any choice of rivers in MT. I would suggest avoiding August since some rivers may be too warm to fish or closed (Blackfoot, Big Hole, and Jefferson always seem to have some sort of restrictions). Having said that, there are plenty of waters that are still fishable at that time (Yellowstone, Gallatin, Upper Madison, Rock Creek just to start). If you come in August, and plan on fishing the Park, check on the water temps for the Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison since they tend to get a bit warm. I prefer river fishing in MT in the spring and fall. I usually skip rivers except the Gallatin and a few mountain streams in July and August. Going in June puts you right at runoff and many rivers are blown out (except for tailwaters and spring creeks such as DePuys, Nelson, and Armstrong).

I would concentrate on two areas, Bozeman and Missoula. From these two locations you are within a short distance of some great fishing. No matter what you choose, chances are you can't go wrong.

As for Wyoming, I don't have much experience there except for mountain lakes so I can't really help you out any there.
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

I agree with the recommendations that you've gotten so far, with two additional comments.

Wherever you decide to go, be sure to check the mileage between places. A week is a pretty short time, and the distances can be long between places. Unless you want to spend much of the week driving (and there's nothing wrong with that if you want to see some different areas), it may be better to concentrate on 2 or 3 different rivers or streams.

Also, you didn't say how good of a wader you are. Assuming you are both "average" waders, then I'd suggest concentrating on the smaller rivers having plenty of public access, such as Rock Creek and the Gallatin, versus larger ones like the Yellowstone.

John

Thanks for the great info. Since we are looking at a week, I do not want to spend that much time driving. I would prefer to spend the time fishing and enjoying the outdoors.

John: When you mention being an "average wader" can you expand on that. I recognize that the smaller waters would be less challenging however I have waded some hard fast rocky waters with no problem.

Mark/Burnt Hackle/John- great info. As I look into this more, would you mind if I sent you a PM with follow-up questions as required ?

Quote Originally Posted by California Bob
    Thanks for the great info. Since we are looking at a week, I do not want to spend that much time driving. I would prefer to spend the time fishing and enjoying the outdoors.

John: When you mention being an "average wader" can you expand on that. I recognize that the smaller waters would be less challenging however I have waded some hard fast rocky waters with no problem.

Mark/Burnt Hackle/John- great info. As I look into this more, would you mind if I sent you a PM with follow-up questions as required ?
    Rock Crek and the Gallatin are both fast and rocky in many places, and can be 30-50' wide, versus 200' wide for the larger rivers. Earlier in the season (say, through mid-July) most of the rivers - both smaller ones as well as the larger ones can have pretty strong currents regardless. Since I assumed neither of you have been to Montana before, I didn't want you to be intimidated by first sight.

If I can be of further help, please PM me.

John

If you do get the chance to go to Wyoming, try fishing Flat Creek, just outside of Jackson. Really tough spring creek fishing, but the Snake River Cutts that live in the creek and amazing. I was there this last September and had a great time... wish I was there now...

My brother used to live in Great Falls, MT. When I went out to visit him we fished the Missouri River in Craig, MT.

It was great..both of us were new to fly fishing so we booked with a guide and had a great time. We did primarily drift boat fishing. Almost 10 hours on the water.

http://www.fallsoutfitters.com/

Your best bets are difinately Missoula and Bozeman for bases in Montana fishing from these two cities (towns to you all from back east) you can hit most all water (give or take) in Montana for great trout. And yes the Missouri is also reachable from Missoula but it is a stretch and from my experience is just a gigantic slow-mover which isnt that technical (relatively speaking--from my p-o-v)

If you like the intamacy of close quarters trout fishing then the smaller rivers are the best bet for sure, but then again I just sold my raft because I like wading alot more.

Rick

PS. pm's are fine, I'm not a guide but would definately love to take anyone on any river out here, you really can't go wrong, slinging streamers, high sticking, the five foot #24 trico drift, the 80 ft parachute adams to that monster over there, lovin' it!

My preference would be away from other people, with beautiful scenery, many trouts, peace and calm. So that leaves out most of the generally often thought of places. I like it when I don't see another person for most of the day! Let alone another flyfisher.

Rivers, streams, glacier lakes in the south east corner of Wyoming is where I'll be, high up in the mountains of the Snowy Range.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread