+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Color Preserver

Default Color Preserver

I am still working on my first fly rod(the one I'm making for my wife) and except for not getting the handle fitted to the grip quite the way I would have liked, it seems to be turing out pretty good.

I have another question: I am using Gudebrod Metalic red thread for my wraps because my wife's favorite team's colors are red and black and I really want the wraps to stand out. Anyway. I bought some color preserver but now it ocures to me that I won't need it since the threads have a metalic coating. Am I thinking correctly?

Tip: When using metalic thread for wrapping do not have too much tension or the metalic coating will tear.

Greg

Default cp

I am not sure, but do not go ahead until you get an answer, or you might not be a happy camper.

In lieu of a quick answer, tie a practice wrap on a dowel, or other round thing!, and put CP on, then the finish. Then another wrap and just put on the finish. You'll very quickly know which way is going to work to your satisfaction.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks for the good advise. I have also sent an email to Gudebrod asking for their recomendation.
    Greg

Greg - unless Gudebrod Met. thread is totally different from all others, you dont need CP.

Might I also suggest Sulky metallic threads. I find it to be easier to work with than the other metallics out there.

good luck

Gudebrod Metallic HT does NOT require CP. Some people prefer it, however. I don't use CP on anything, I feel that it detracts from proper epoxy adhesion to the blank and guidefoot. I use HT and NCP threads to allow for the omission of CP.

The Metallic will not require any color preserver at all, the red, however may darken significantly depending on the thread that you used. To see how much, simply moisten the wrap with water and you will see the resulting color from applying the epoxy finish. The water will quickly evaporate and will not hurt the wrap at all. Like Tampa Jim, I don't use CP's at all, unless I am wrapping with a Jasper thread then I use it for the preservation of the colors of the jasper. I prefer the good adhesion I get from not using CPS.

Although metallic threads do not require the use of CP, it would not hurt the final finish even if you did use it. It will seal the thread wraps and prevent those nasty bubbles from appearing when epoxy is applied to the wraps. Without CP, you may get a bubble dilema. When I build a rod where I want to retain the thread colour and nylon thread has been trimmed with nice metallic trim bands, I always coat the entire wraps with CP, using 2 coats of 50/50 mix.......1/2 CP with 1/2 distilled water and 1 day apart to allow for complete drying time prior to finishing. Everyone has their own little tricks to a good finish and this is just my way of completing perfect finishes each and every time. Good luck and have fun with your rod project
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

+ Reply to Thread