+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential streamer flies for trout

Default Essential streamer flies for trout

I would like to cut down the amount of flies I carry with me for trout. What are the essential streamer flies you should carry besides the wooly bugger and clouser foxy minnow? Mickey finn and Black nose dace? Squirrel tail??

Just out of curiosity, jkilroy, which streamers have you already caught trout on?
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Wooly bugger, white rabbit leach and foxy clouser. I don't catch too many trout on streamers mostly nymphs.

Muddlers and Zonkers.

Something that looks like a shad.
    Peacock/green top and white and pearl k-flash body.
    Be creative.
    All those others work real good. It's just a matter of the fisherman making them work.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

I fish alot of streamers, sometimes on their own, sometimes in tandem with a small wet or a nymph. Looking at my fishing logs, in the past three years, roughly 60% of the trout I have caught were on the same streamer, the Conehead Combo. This fly is in the Fly of the Week archives. My good friend and fishing buddy Peter Frailey came up with this awesome pattern. This fly has replaced the Woolly Bugger in my fly box.

I carry it in two colors, black and olive, and in two sizes, 6 and 10 (Mustad 9672).

Regards,

Alberto

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto
    I fish alot of streamers, sometimes on their own, sometimes in tandem with a small wet or a nymph. Looking at my fishing logs, in the past three years, roughly 60% of the trout I have caught were on the same streamer, the Conehead Combo. This fly is in the Fly of the Week archives. My good friend and fishing buddy Peter Frailey came up with this awesome pattern. This fly has replaced the Woolly Bugger in my fly box.

I carry it in two colors, black and olive, and in two sizes, 6 and 10 (Mustad 9672).

Regards,

Alberto
    Please tell me...what % of the time do you fish the Conehead Combo?

The streamers that I use most of the time are Light Spruce, Hornberg wet, Western Coachman, Black or Olive Conehead woolly bugger. Usually in 2 at a time. Front fly is usually the light spruce or a Black cone head woolly bugger. Depends on what depth of water I want the streamers to swing.

And should we define what we are talking about????The question was trout ...so we are all onboard about that....but are we talking rivers?...the post above referenced the swing so I guess it was rivers....or are we talking stillwaters????

If we are going to learn IMHO we need to know what we are talking about....Oh , and I am not disparaging the original post....

strip leech in various colors, zoo cougars in yellow and white.

+ Reply to Thread