+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Graduation Present Trip

Default Summer Graduation Present Trip

My son and three of his buddies are trying to plan a mid June fly fishing trip "out West" in celebration of their high school graduation. Their first thought is the Missoula area primarily because one of the guys recently watched "The Movie".

I would like to steer them to an area where they can:
    1. wade safely
    2. Catch fish
    3. Have reasonable stream access without having to worry about tresspass laws
    4. Have a safe place to stay at night.

I would like to arrange and pay for in advance a guided wade trip for their first day so they can the lay of the land. My son has been fly fishing for about 9 years, his buddies just got into it this past summer.

Can anyone recommend some streams and areas that could accommodate four young fly fishermen? Would one guide be willing to take out a group of four or do I need to plan on two guides?

As they have limited budgets I suggested they try camping as a way to conserve money. They are a little concerned about space for all their gear and security.

Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Summer Graduation Present Trip

My first impression is that mid-June can be tough fishing due to the potential for high water from snow run-off. If they can wait a couple weeks, their opportunities will probably be better. There are many places they could go that would offer what they are interested in, and I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions, but here are several thoughts:

Personally, I would stay away from Missoula itself, and the Clark Fork specifically, due to the sheer size of the river which is not particularly condusive to 4 young guys wade fishing - there are better places to go.

I wouldn't hestitate at all to camp, and wouldn't be particularly concerned about safety. In fact, I've done that a number of times with my sons, with other fishing friends, or alone.

Rock Creek, just east of Missoula, offers plenty of wade fishing access, plus ample camping opportunities, and I wouldn't think a guide would even be necessary.

Another option would be the Missouri River in the Wolf Creek or Craig area. Again, there is camping available at several places, some fishing lodges/camps, or motels in Helena. A guide for a day would help them get started, and after that they'd be good to go on their own.

The Gallain River between Four Corners (Bozeman) and Big Sky would also be another river for them to consider. Again, there are many public access places, along with plenty of options closeby for camping, motels, etc.

While you may find a guide that is willing to take 4 young fellows out for the day, I think 2 per guide is more common. I'd sugggest deciding on a location first, then contact a local outfitter and discuss the guiding options.

I will be guiding on the Yellowstone River just south of Livingson next summer and fall. There are plenty of opportunities for fishing/camping, etc. there also, but I think the 3 places I suggested above would be better for your sons and his friends.

John

John,

Thanks for the comments! Regarding the timing of the trip would the last week of June be better? I am intrigued by the Yellowstone idea, I would think that would provide a great deal of water without having to worry about tresspass laws. Why do you feel the other areas would be better?

Mark

BH,,, the Yellowstone usually floods on the 4th of July.

How 'bout the streams and lakes around the Snowy Range? The name totally escapes me right now, but there is a fellow at the West Laramie Fly Shop that does guiding. There are many camping areas, and I'd feel totally safe camping in them, but until the last week of June, snow may be a factor
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey Betty,
    Those streams might be the Little Laramie, and the Plaines lakes might be Meeboor, Hattie, Twin Buttes etc.West of Centennial Wyoming and in the Snowy Range, there are too many streams to name.Those are my college days U of WYO stompin grounds. Many of the flies I bought at the West Laramie Fly Store are strewn throughout that landscape. And BH, the boys would get to see a great College campus too.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BH Spey
    John,

Thanks for the comments! Regarding the timing of the trip would the last week of June be better? I am intrigued by the Yellowstone idea, I would think that would provide a great deal of water without having to worry about tresspass laws. Why do you feel the other areas would be better?

Mark
    I presume by Yellowstone you're thinking of the Park itself. That certainly would be a good option for the boys. Craig Matthews at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone would be the best person to contact in that regard, including having some of the best guides. The Firehole River, for example, can have good fishing early in the season, but much of the streams and rivers in the Park don't open until mid-July.

Where I am, we had some decent river levels for fishing in the Yellowstone River the past couple years, but as Castwell points out, the river can be flooded on July 4th, and it's hard to tell this early what next year might bring.

The reasons I suggested the other 3 places were a combination of easy public access, good places to wade and/or fish from the bank, excellent fishing, and ample places closeby to stay, including camping opportunities, which was what I understood you were looking for.

John

p.s. Be careful how you break it to the boys, but some of the most interesting parts of the "movie" (at least for us guys --wink, wink) took place up in Wolf Creek, as I recall -- see my suggestion for the Missouri.

in West Yellowstone, check with Bob Jacklyn,, has one of the oldest shops in the area. Great guy, pro-staffer etc. Been a friend of ours for about half a centaury

BH, that time of year, I would set up camp near Twin Bridges. If the freestones are in runoff (which they will be) the tailwaters of Ruby, Beaverhead and the Madison are easy day trips. If the boys want to travel a bit, the Bighorn is a days drive and the Missouri is a nice drive north. Both rivers are wadable, but access is better on the Missouri between Wolf Creek and Cascade, I think. As for camping, its a safe bet all around, assuming the guys camp at home and respect others.
    Keep in mind that all of these tailwaters will be busy, but June is a great time to see this country and meet some good folks. If the timing works out, I'm sure myself and others with driftboats and rafts would be willing to help these guys out.

I'd put in a big second for Rock Creek. Fished it, later in the year, with two of my sons a few years ago. Wonderful!!! Folks at "The Kingfisher" in Missoula can help you out or the folks at the Rock Creek Fisherman's Mercantile. Also can't go wrong with Craig Matthews advice at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. Great guy and great staff.
    Once in a lifetime experience. It was wonderful! (Take Prince nymphs!)
    Good luck. They'll certainly enjoy it.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread