+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: REEL Confused

Considering my profession, Machinist, I often find myself pawing over reels in an effort to determine the best bang for the buck on the market.

I have looked over many reels. One thing is consistent, consumers are paying major money for the surface coatings like anodizing. That is the single most costly part of most if not all reels.

I would not get bent over what its actually made from. Be it Magnesium or Aluminum it matters little since the mechanical properties are so close between the two. The only exception to this rule would be Titanium. Strong like steel, light like Aluminum, impervious to the salt. The problem with Ti reels are the cost about the same as a decent used vehicle.

I think first and foremost in importance is a sealed drag made from carbon fiber. Next is fit and finish. Followed by backing capacity.

The one reel that passed my test and landed my business is the Nautilus 10 CCF made by Old Florida reels.

The Nautilus is the reel I use now for all my saltwater flyfishing I have a 10 and I am getting ready for the larger 12T. Darn good reel and company. Bauer is my second choice and only because the are more expensive then the Nautilus.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

DO NOT use a magnesium reel in saltwater ! Even if it it cleaned religiously after use the reel will not stand up to the chemical reactions of saltwater, or so I was told when purchasing an Orvis reel years ago. Discussed the new $10,000.00 Hardy Zane titanium saltwater reels today at a fly shop. Impressive, but then again for that price one could fish just about anywhere 10 times over at that price!

While Magnesium is the most Anodic take a look down the list a few places and you'll find Aluminum. Way down at the Cathodic range you'll find the various Titanium's. I call that the $10,000 reel range.

Magnesium has been used in reels for a long time. Primarily for its strength to weight ratio and ease by which it can be cast into intricate shapes.

So the key lies in the surface coating, i.e. Type 3 Hard Anodizing. Unfortunately that is also what drives the cost up. Yes untreated Magnesium would erode pretty fast but Aluminum would be not too far behind it.

The following Galvanic Table lists metals in the order of their relative activity in seawater environment. The list begins with the more active (anodic) metal and proceeds down the to the least active (cathodic) metal of the galvanic series. A "galvanic series" applies to a particular electrolyte solution, hence for each specific solution which is expected to be encountered for actual use, a different order or series will ensue. In a galvanic couple, the metal higher in the series (or the smaller) represents the anode, and will corrode preferentially in the environment.

Listed below is the latest galvanic table from MIL-STD-889 where the materials have been numbered for discussion of characteristics. However, for any combination of dissimilar metals, the metal with the lower number will act as an anode and will corrode preferentially. The table is the galvanic series of metals in sea water from Army Missile Command Report RS-TR-67-11, "Practical Galvanic Series."

Active (Anodic)

Magnesium
    Mg alloy AZ-31B
    Mg alloy HK-31A
    Zinc (hot-dip, die cast, or plated)
    Beryllium (hot pressed)
    Al 7072 clad on 7075
    Al 2014-T3
    Al 1160-H14
    Al 7079-T6
    Cadmium (plated)
    Uranium
    Al 218 (die cast)
    Al 5052-0
    Al 5052-H12
    Al 5456-0, H353
    Al 5052-H32
    Al 1100-0
    Al 3003-H25
    Al 6061-T6
    Al A360 (die cast)
    Al 7075-T6
    Al 6061-0
    Indium
    Al 2014-0
    Al 2024-T4
    Al 5052-H16
    Tin (plated)
    Stainless steel 430 (active)
    Lead
    Steel 1010
    Iron (cast)
    Stainless steel 410 (active)
    Copper (plated, cast, or wrought)
    Nickel (plated)
    Chromium (Plated)
    Tantalum
    AM350 (active)
    Stainless steel 310 (active)
    Stainless steel 301 (active)
    Stainless steel 304 (active)
    Stainless steel 430 (active)
    Stainless steel 410 (active)
    Stainless steel 17-7PH (active)
    Tungsten
    Niobium (columbium) 1% Zr
    Brass, Yellow, 268
    Uranium 8% Mo
    Brass, Naval, 464
    Yellow Brass
    Muntz Metal 280
    Brass (plated)
    Nickel-silver (18% Ni)
    Stainless steel 316L (active)
    Bronze 220
    Copper 110
    Red Brass
    Stainless steel 347 (active)
    Molybdenum, Commercial pure
    Copper-nickel 715
    Admiralty brass
    Stainless steel 202 (active)
    Bronze, Phosphor 534 (B-1)
    Monel 400
    Stainless steel 201 (active)
    Carpenter 20 (active)
    Stainless steel 321 (active)
    Stainless steel 316 (active)
    Stainless steel 309 (active)
    Stainless steel 17-7PH (passive)
    Silicone Bronze 655
    Stainless steel 304 (passive)
    Stainless steel 301 (passive)
    Stainless steel 321 (passive)
    Stainless steel 201 (passive)
    Stainless steel 286 (passive)
    Stainless steel 316L (passive)
    AM355 (active)
    Stainless steel 202 (passive)
    Carpenter 20 (passive)
    AM355 (passive)
    A286 (passive)
    Titanium 5A1, 2.5 Sn
    Titanium 13V, 11Cr, 3Al (annealed)
    Titanium 6Al, 4V (solution treated and aged)
    Titanium 6Al, 4V (anneal)
    Titanium 8Mn
    Titanium 13V, 11Cr 3Al (solution heat treated and aged)
    Titanium 75A
    AM350 (passive)
    Silver
    Gold
    Graphite
    End - Noble (Less Active, Cathodic)

When looking at boating items, it's easy to see why there's so much rust on some of the stain-less steel. Wasn't aware there were that many different types, so thanks for the neat info !

Acorbin,
    If you want a good quality USA made reel that won't break the bank try the Teton Tiogas.Same drag as the higher end Tetons actually the same reel but with less porting stick with the regular arbor spools for saltwater.I would agree with the others about the Battenkill and the Medalists reels but not since they are now both being made in China not sure if the quality will be the same.If you can find them used go for it.

Tom

The question then is how can one tell the qualitative properties of the anodized coating??

ac01

Good question.

Type three hard Anodizing comes in only one color, black. This is highly corrosion and scratch resistant.
    The process of coating in type three is very costly with a high rate of rejection. Causing us consumers to be asked to pay outrageous money for reels.
    It is inherent to the type three process to suffer color variations. Large batch Anodizing in a tank. Some parts are slightly lighter in color. Almost with a greyish look to them. Technically the coating is good but they get rejected rather than sent to the consumer. Driving the price up.
    Type two Anodizing is much more prevalent. It is a more consistent and predictable process. Can be done in a multitude of colors including black.
    The easiest way to tell Type 2 Black and Type 3 Black is this. The Type 3 will be polished to a very high sheen. If you place a black Tibor reel next to a black Tioga or teton reel you will see the difference between type three and type two. Now look at the price difference.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Linesidesonthefly
    Good question.

Type three hard Anodizing comes in only one color, black. This is highly corrosion and scratch resistant.
    The process of coating in type three is very costly with a high rate of rejection. Causing us consumers to be asked to pay outrageous money for reels.
    It is inherent to the type three process to suffer color variations. Large batch Anodizing in a tank. Some parts are slightly lighter in color. Almost with a greyish look to them. Technically the coating is good but they get rejected rather than sent to the consumer. Driving the price up.
    Type two Anodizing is much more prevalent. It is a more consistent and predictable process. Can be done in a multitude of colors including black.
    The easiest way to tell Type 2 Black and Type 3 Black is this. The Type 3 will be polished to a very high sheen. If you place a black Tibor reel next to a black Tioga or teton reel you will see the difference between type three and type two. Now look at the price difference.
    How about the Temple Fork Terry Hayden reels. They are much more reasonable than the Tibors. Do you think they use an inferior type 3 process?

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/reels/ ... ayden.html

Default Drag worthy fish

When considering which reel to use for drag worthy fish I look at the reels that are used time and time again for catching those record breaking fish. Two US manufacturers top the pile; Tibor and Abel.

Purpose built saltwater reels, great warranties and I note both use cork in their drags. These reels are built on the feedback of experienced professional fishermen, who are on the water day in and day out. Some good video here going into the ideas behind the Tibor reel http://www.fishandflymagazine.com/video ... IDEO_ID=13

They are at the high end of the market but worth every penny. Which is better? Well I think this is down to personal preference. I own reels from both manufacturers.

You buy the best because the best is what you deserve.

BTW - I also use and own reels from the following manufactures for fishing in the salt, but if I was on a trip of a lifetime I know which ones, I'd be strapping onto my stick.

Ross
    Lamson
    Sage
    Old Florida
    Okuma
    Teton
    Felty/Predator
    Orvis
    SA

+ Reply to Thread