+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tailing materials for parachute hares ear?

Default Tailing materials for parachute hares ear?

Does it matter what a person uses for tailing materials for a parachute hares ear? I've seen patterns that use deer hair, moose mane, elk hock, and micro fibbets. Would it be ok to use squirrel tail guard hairs, paint brush fibers or spade hackle? The tail is only there to stabilize the fly on the water, right? Does it really matter how I accomplish that?

Mike

Mike,

I don't think it matters a bit.

As long as the fly fishes as you want it to, it's all good. ANY of the ones you listed, along with lots of other options, should work fine.

My opinion, of course.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Think outside the box

Mike,
    I always say, if you are tying a pattern for a swap, gift or to be mounted and want a particular pattern, use what is called for in tying.
    For your own fishing, I always say, experiment. Let the fish be the judge of materials you used. Think outside the box.
    I feel very strongly about subbing different colors of hackle & dubbing. I find one will work well for an hour or so and by switching to a different color grouping, my catching picks up.
    The same is for hook size. I normally tie a specific size hook on a pattern that has worked on the water where I intend to fish, previously. When tying I always tie a few flies of the normal size, then tie two or three in a size smaller and again one more size smaller. This has saved my sanity many times.
    All of the above is a good justfication for tying way more flies than I will need and is fun for me.
    Make your tying fun and relaxing. Then go fish.

Denny
    Denny

The paintbrush fibers and spade hackle will work fine. The squirrel tail in my opinion is too soft for a dry fly tail.

Thank you everyone. I didn't think it would be a big deal to substitute, especially since there are so many different published patterns that I've run across.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread