+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PT Question

Default PT Question

Why when tying a PT do you, "Rib the body with the wire, wrapping the wire the reverse direction you wrapped the body." Does this change what the fly does in the water at all? Does it make a difference or is it just the way its always been done, no questions asked?

Thanks
    Warm Water

Hi,
    I do the "reverse rib". This way, the wire won't fall between the fibres but rather cross over them. This helps to make the fly stronger, and less apt to come apart if a tooth cuts through one of the fibres.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part11.html:8ceee]All Time Favorites - Hare?s Ear and Pheasant Tail[/url:8ceee]

Ditto to Jeff .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

dixie thats exactly the article i qouted from. THanks Jef that makes sense.

Warm Water

Hi WWFF,
    No problem, and for what it's worth, I counter wrap the rib on all flies (nymphs, wets, streamers, etc). It helps trap loose dubbing, etc, and I find it's easier to trap the rib when tying it off if the rib and the tying thread go in opposite directions.

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm
    Hi WFF,
    No problem, and for what it's worth, I counter wrap the rib on all flies (nymphs, wets, streamers, etc). It helps trap loose dubbing, etc, and I find it's easier to trap the rib when tying it off if the rib and the tying thread go in opposite directions.

- Jeff
    Interesting...I trap easier when I don't counterwrap... that's the only negative for me in counterwrapping..I don't suppose you have any clues?????

Hi ducksterman,

I'm generally clueless, but here's what I do if that counts?

I'm right handed, and when I tie I have the hook facing "eye to the right". I use my right hand on the tying thread, and wrap it over the top away from me.

So, the rib, starting from the back, wraps over the top towards me.

I leave the tying thread hanging on the bobbin, bring the rib forward, and when I reach the tie off point, I have the rib on the side of the hook facing me, slanting on a bit of an angle (top to bottom back to front). This allows the thread to come up and meet the rib on an angle, and I make 2 or 3 tight wraps towards the eye before cutting/snapping the rib off.

Sometimes, if it's possible, instead of tieing off right away I'll wrap the rib around the shank one or two more time like a "tag" one would find under the tail, then tie off over that.

If the body is bulky and tapers thin at the back to thick at the front, I'll continue the rib beyond the body a bit (to get down onto some thinner shank section) before tying off. Since this area gets covered with a thorax, or wings, or hackle, it hides the rib tie off point and can help prevent the last turn of the rib getting twisted out of alingment.

- Jeff

Jeff,
    What a great description...you've made me visualize this and I don't know why it was a problem...we'll see the next time I try ....THANKS

Hi ducksterman,

Glad that was clear! And, I'll bet if you try it, the fly will look odd to you ... because the rib will be slanted the "wrong way".
    - Jeff

Hi Warm Water Fly Fisher,

One of the main reason for reverse wrapping the copper wire ribbing on the pheasant tail nymph is to protect the pheasant tail barbules that form the body of the fly.

Trout teeth cut the pheasant tail fibers fairly easily, and they will unwrap and string out from the fly. Very many trout on a pheasant tail without reverse wrapped wire and it is toast. The reverse wraps cross the pheasant tail fibers and greatly minimize the length of fiber that can unwrap. Thus, the reverse wraps greatly increase the toughness and life of the fly.

The reverse wraps do not change the way the fly acts in the water, I don't think.

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread