+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do I got?

Default What do I got?

Received my Cablea?s stuff today. Please help me with what it is. It all has the Colorado Anglers Supply Inc. stamp on it.
    A. 12 rolls of assorted colors, marked Poly Dub
    B. 3 rolls of thin wire, marked Wire
    C. 9 rolls of various thickness mylar, marked Tinsel
    D. 12 rolls various colors, marked Floss 1-strand
    E. 4 rolls, 2 red and 2 white Uni Thread 6/0 W
    F. 1 tube Wapsi Preium dubbing wax
    G. 1 Wapsi applicator bottle w/ Fly head cement
    H. 1 Bottle zap a gap, thick

What is Poly Dub, What is 1-strand Floss?

The wire and tinsel I can kinda, sorta figure out. Is this enough to begin the long trudge up the fly tying learning curve or do I need more stuff. Please note, have 4 different sets of easy to tie patterns w/ all the stuff included.

I take it this is some kind of kit?

I'm not sure what poly dub is, but since it's spooled I would guess it's some type of yarn to be wrapped to create a body. Likewise the floss can be wrapped to create a smooth body. Single strand floss can be put in a bobbin and used like tying thread as well. The wire and tinsel can be spiral wrapped over a body to create a rib. If that is all the materials you have, your pretty limited in what you can tie. I don't see any feathers, hair or hackle on the list.

The individual fly tying kits have all of the hair, feathers, hooks and hackle!

Normand Guest

I dont see alot of fly patterns in that materials list. Its always good to hit your local fly shop for materials for the flies you want to tie. They will sell you the correct items.

Mark,

Did the kit include a video?

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I did some browsing on Cabelas site and think I see what you bought. It's funny they don't really tell you what your getting. It looks like your set for wire, tinsel and floss for awhile. I couldn't get by without black and olive 6/0 thread. Have fun and soon you'll be trying to find storage space for all the materials you accumulate.

kits are a great way to get a mass suplie of materials cabelas sells material kits with out the tools .

another great way to add to your colection of suplies is through swapping . say you have a mass suplie of
    feathers becuse you hunt you could trade those for soemthing you don't have.

+ Reply to Thread