+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colorado anglers

Default Colorado anglers

Just curious, How long does run off last? I know you guys have been pounded with snow so you will probably be in run off until October. In a run off situation wich clears up first the creeks, or the streams? I might be in San Juans in late June, not sure where yet, was Durango but could be else where. Will the creeks be fishable then? Thanks for all of the help.

Mike

Now, I am speaking for Nothern and Central Colorado.

I have been talking to guides in the Western-Central Colorado. They think runoff will peak late June - early July. I am planning a trip to the Colorado and Roaring Fork Valley and they say to wait until after July 4. They think the rivers will be unfishable until the first part July.

As I remember, The Durango area got hit VERY hard by snow this year, so I would think June may be to soon. One good thing about Colorado, there are a lot of times that a river-stream-creek will get muddy later in teh afternoons when the temp get up, but will clear overnight as things cool off.

Hope this helps.

Email me if you need more specifics.

Ken

It will also depend on the size of the stream. Some of the smaller ones may clear much sooner than Ken suggests. I also think most rivers should be fairly clear by mid July but may remain fairly high. I guess I am not a fan of big water even when it is clear. There is several lakes in the Durango area that you can fish and then it is not very far south to the San Juan in NM which is a tailwater fishery. Allyn

there are also several tailwaters in CO that remain fishable through runoff. you might think about giving them a try, although if you're in durango, the closest tailwater may be the san juan in NM. you might consider stillwater.

SW colorado got hammered with snow. the animas was at something like 160% of annual average, so i think it's peak will last a while, well into the summer probably.

chris

5. Default

I'm in Colorado and check flows daily. Historically, flows peak in mid June and generally are good to go by July 4 or so.
    Here's the Colorado flows site: [url=http://www.dwr.state.co.us/Hydrology/flow_search.asp:85f0c]http://www.dwr.state.co.us/Hydrology/flow_search.asp[/url:85f0c]
    Search the stream of your choice. Then Select, at the top, "Recent Dailies" to be able to check the historical flows over the past up to 730 days.
    Because of the precip levels in S CO, it's likely flows won't be clear and "right" til after July 4.
    Also, check out duranglers.com and, among other things, ask them if the Vallecito Res area is ok now since it burned back in the 2002 fire year.

Everyone is forgeting to mention that you need to watch the weather here every day. On warm to hot days, the snow will melt 6-8 inches a day, sometimes more. I watched 24 inches disappear in 24 hours. Pretty darned fast if you ask me. By late June, even if the runoff is still going, most of the lighter sediment has been swept away and the water cleared up. High water, low water, don't matter, flyfishing is adaptable. The fish still have to eat.
    If the water si still muddy when you get here, try large and dark patterns. My "go to" is teh muddler/marabou minnow. The darker the better, get it down deep. The fish can't see as well and hit on the darker movements. Fast water takes more skill to see the different currents and don't wade past your knees if you don't have to.

See my new thread about wading safety.

------------------
    If flyfishing were a sin, I'de be the devil's right hand man.

Thanks for all of the great replies. I got lots of info on the conditions in that area. Hopefully I can postpone till later, but if all else fails at least I will be in the mountains. Thanks again.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread