+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage Xi2

Default Sage Xi2

Any experience with this rod? How does it compare with the RPLX or RPLXi? Thanks. Dave

We both have the XI2 in 8 wt. It's a very neat rod - will cast short or very long and has a bit of finesse as well. Highly recommend it.

Got RPLXi's and Xi2's.

The Xi2 is a much better rod in my opinion, faster action and more power

ditto Spike's reply.

Love my RPLXi's (7 and a 5 (5 is very cool)) but they are nowhere near the rod that my 9 wt Xi2. That rod can really lay it down....

e

LF
    Sage lists the Xi2 as a saltwater rod and others have highly recommended it (10wt) as a New England srtpers/blues rod which I am probabaly going to get. What is your opinion of the 8 wt as a Great Lakes steelhead/bass and light saltwater rod.. As always I do appreciate your advice and comments.
    Dave

Default 9 Weight

Spkie,

Sorry to butt in, however I would go for a 9 weight if fishing for the New England stripers and blues.

JME
    I do appreciate your comment. My thinking on the 10 wt is based on my experience. I get a chance to fish usually once a year on Narragansett Bay in RI (with a guide)and for the last 4 years the wind on the bay has been 15 to 25 plus each time. I have fished 8(Orvis Silver Label) 9(Sage RPLX) 10(Sage XP) weights. We usually fish full sinking or 350 to 450 grain heads. The guides preference is for the 9 wt, but I seemed to have done better with the 10 wt. I sure if I had more experience took more lessons I would be OK with a nine wt but to maximize my time on the water is what has me thinking about the 10 wt. Thanks Dave

I've not fished stripers and blues, so can't give an opinion on what weight. We do use the 8 wts for bonefish and salmon. Love the rod.

Spike: Since you've thrown a 10wt XP let me offer this.I swapped a 10wt XP for a 10wt Xi2. I loved the Xp but felt I needed a bit more lifting strength. No question the Xi2 has it. I was pleasantly surprised to discover Xi2 was easier on me too. So if you feel you had plenty of rod strength for the fish/line with the XP, a same weight Xi2 maybe a bit much. On the other hand if it's wind beating, don't worry that the Xi2 will be a chore to throw all day. Does that make sense?

LF Thanks again for your comments.
    N2permit/JME Maybe I'll find a shop mid state carrying Sage and try both 9 and 10 wts.

Thanks all for inpot
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread