+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we still get what we pay for?

Default Do we still get what we pay for?

I have always wondered if anybody still understands that saying. Are getting what we pay for, or are we paying for what we are getting?

loufly,
    I fear that with the price of some of today's flyrods, the truth of the matter is in the latter part of your statement. You're paying for it brother. When a flyrod is put together and it is working correctly, they don't even have any moving parts. You can buy a fairly decent used car for the price of a $2000 rod.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

First, I believe that the anglers buying $2,000 fly rods are the smallest sector in our hobby, so they really don't accurately represent the "average" angler. I wish to someday be in that elite club, but until then I would guess the average angler is buying a much less expensive rod.

If properly cared for, a fly rod should last the life of the warranty. Let?s say a rod costs $400 and comes with a 25-year warranty. If you fish that rod 75 days each year for it?s life, that would be 1,875 outings at a cost of just a whisker over 21 cents per use. I think that?s a pretty good value when you consider that automobiles depreciate a good chunk just as soon as you drive it off the lot, and in most cases are worthless in 10-15 years. What?s that you say, you only paid $200 for your rod and you still got a 25-year warranty? Why, that comes to less than 11 cents per use. I don?t care who you are, that?s a pretty darn cost effective piece of equipment. Even if you cut the outings in half which doubles your cost per use, it's still only 42 cents per use for the $400 rod and 21 cents per use for the $200 rod. On my planet I know you can't even rent a beat up rod for that price, much less a well cared for one.

I own a small business and go this exercise every time I purchase a new piece of equipment. It simply opens my eyes to the reality of what the equipment really costs, and also helps when depreciating it for tax purposes.

I wish you at least 1,875 outings with your fly rods, and buy the best that you can afford. It's not really as expensive as it appears on the surface. If you are pleased with your purchase, then you got what you paid for.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

This post is kinda " a rose by another name", but apparently needs more input. Joe, the only loose end in your post is that you're accounting for only ONE rods' value/utility. Even I, the frugal fly fisherman, has more than one. A $2000 car, no matter it's ultimate value has many more utility varaibles than a fishing pole and therefore should not be compared. All the above is, of course, ONLY my humble opinion.

Mark

That being said, I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Default See....

Ebay
    Regards,

Jose

><((((0>

Although you calculate the "per use" of the fly rod and get a low amount it's still the question: is this fair.
    Could the price be lower, are we victims of good salesmanship, I say for me I get "all worked up" when I see a new rod which is "so much better" than the old versions. Still I have been using my old rods with good results and they still cast well.

How much difference is there f.ex between the old Sage DS2 rod and the new one Z-Axis?

Default Do we still get what we pay for?

We are definitely ?paying for what we?re getting,? and the price has very little to do with the actual production cost, at least with mass produced graphite rods. I?m reminded of a story I heard back in the 60?s about how HP arrived at the price for the first hand-held calculator they produced. A group of engineers was brought in, and each was give one of the calculators. In those days they were pretty limited; about all the functions they had was add, subtract, multiply, divide, square root, and percentage calculations. The engineers were allowed to use the calculators for a week and then were asked to come back. When they returned each was asked,?how much would you pay to have one of these?? $495.00 was the average, and that?s the price HP got for those first, very limited calculators.

I suspect companies such as Sage, Winston, Scott, etc., arrive at the price of their rods in a similar manner. Start with the production cost, add a reasonable profit margin, and then ask a bunch of bean counters, ?How much do you think we can get the suckers to pay for this??

As for $2,000 for a rod, you are probably looking at a bamboo, in some cases you might be getting what you paid for. I know a couple of makers who get $1,500 to $2,000 for one of their rods. The rods are hand made, hand planned, hand wrapped, etc. The average time it takes to produce one of these rods is 60 hours, and they produce between 25 and 40 rods per year.

At $1,500 that figures out to be about $25.00 per hour, or $60,000 per year if they sell 40 rods. Not a lot of money for a true ?craftsman.? And to make that sort of money and be able to sell 40 rods per year, your peers must have determined that your rods are worth that much.

Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

I agree with what Grizzly has said. Most of the rod companies aren't even making their whole rods...they hire out to other companies to make their "unique" reelseats for a lower price, then charge more for the rod because of this special feature, or they import the blanks from overseas, then charge the same amount that they normally would if they had been made here in the states. Some bamboo rodmakers do the same thing as well, but for most of them the amount of time put into each rod, and the amount of money they've invested in their equipment makes their price tags seem very fair to me.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

I can't argue with you, Dan, as I have no facts. And I can say that my opinion is asked occasionally on a product, especially at a 'Show' where something may be not quite ready for the market yet. Not the final generation yet. At those times my opinion will usually match that of others who are also consulted and the manufacturer usually agrees. I am sure nothing I have ever said or recommended has ever caused any change to any product that wasn't already in the works. My point is that never was my opinion asked on ?How much do you think we can get the suckers to pay for this?? They may ask the 'bean counters' for some input, I have no way of knowing, but I seriously do not think they do. I do know many of the guys in the trades and feel that they are dedicated professionals and proud of their work. To produce the best gear at the most cost effective price is the optimum. I think this is their goal and reflects the cost/price of their goods.
    If they had a condescending attitude or a negative view of fly-fishers I would know it. So far, I have never seen it.
    I am glad I do not have to go through life feeling I am getting screwed every time I buy something for my recreation. I am grateful they make the stuff and very often will compliment them for actually making it and bringing it to market. If they made too much profit it would be resented and sales and personal opinions of the company would reflect that. Far too many customers take this negative attitude these days. Somehow it seems to make them feel superior to possess this inside knowledge and attitude. I feel sorry for them.
    Some folks who write reviews are like that. "This widget is fine but,,,." Then they continue on, showing you how much smarter they are than the guy who made the thing. When I buy something it is because of the good things I like about it, not in spite of all the things that are wrong about it.

ok I will jump in on this one. Having worked most of my life at jobs that require you to be there for 16-20 hours a day and now have some time off and a decent job with a lot less pay. Do I get what I pay for? hmmm mid line fly rod $150.00 reel $30.00 line $50.00 leader $3.00 flies $12.00 time spent on the river or lake priceless, time spent getting work out of my system and relaxing, getting to know me again priceless, time spent watching mother nature do her thing priceless, time spent with friends and family doing the same priceless
    The cost of the equipment does not matter it is what it is used for and how it is used that determines the price. My wife kinda summed it up the other day when talking to one of my new friends when she said if yhou would have known Bob 5 years ago you would have shot him as soon as look at him. He is a human now who cares about people and life and has his priorities straight.
    Do I get what I pay for- You bet ya and then some. Just my opinion hope I didn't offend anyone

+ Reply to Thread