+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flyfishing in San Fransisco area

Default Flyfishing in San Fransisco area

Hello fellow flyanglers.....

I am a 38 year old flyfisherman from Sweden that is visiting friends in san Fransisco between 19 Dec and 24 Jan. They are citypeople and cant help me so im trying here.

I would like to get in contact with someone that can give a few tips regarding where and how to go about to find some nice spots to wet a fly. What's biting during winterseason, locations, rodweight , flies etc etc...the more info the happier im gonna be....

I have access to a car and I can handle a few hour drive easily just help me wet a fly...... would be fun to catch my first "whatever" in America ;o)

Best Regards

// Vance from Stockholm , Sweden

Vance,

At that time of year, the "warmwater" option probably isn't your best bet. Re-post in the regular "FAOL Community" forum.

There are some great fly shops in the San Francisco Bay Area that will be able to put you on fish that time of year, do a google search and ring them up.

Around San Francisco there's the bay itself, which may be nothing special in December - January. If you drive out to the coast, there may be some surf perch action, which can be fun (but chilly!)

To the north there is trout fishing, if it's open that time of year...

To the south there's the Delta, with striped bass and largemouth bass. Not the peak time of year to target them, but may be something going on.

Also trout in some of the lakes, including urban stocking program lakes.

I'm sure others will weigh in, but it's not really the kind of thing that this "Warmwater Forum" speaks best to, as most of the opportunities that time of year are coldwater or saltwater.

Hope you have a great time on your trip! Welcome!

Thank you for the info...... I wasnt thinking about where to put the post..... Sounded like a good place at the time..... a swede going to california he he..
    I got hold of a couple of shops in SF so all is good!

Tight Lines

// Sneak

Dec. is usually still a good month for stripers in the delta. I would be glad to have you along for a striper venture in our little plastic boat.
    I am quite sporadic on the BB's lately so let me know if you're interested and it may take a little bit for me to get back at you.
    .....lee s.

+ Reply to Thread