+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A progress Picture and A Silk Question

Default A progress Picture and A Silk Question

Almost done my second (and this one I?m going to be able to fish... a lot!). Finished my wraps yesterday, and threw a coat of varnish on. I used Persalls Gossamer in Gold. It looked great. When put the finish on though, I lost all the color in my silk. Now, I noticed this on my first rod, which was wrapped with cardinal red. It didn't loose its color; it just changed a bit (became a much deeper red). The gold is all but gone. At first I panicked. It was a split second decision. Keep going and hope I like how it turns out, or stop re-do the wrap I covered, and try to figure out how to preserve the color. I kept going...and you know what? It looks pretty dang cool. My question is: Is there a way to preserve the color so it looks like it does after being wrapped. Can I use an epoxy, maybe another thread (not the gossamer stuff?), or is this just the way it is? I'm working on my photography skills, but here is a sample. Sorry if its not the greatest picture.

There is a color preservative available to brush on the threads to keep the original color, but I actually like the way the thread colors go rich and deep when you put the epoxy straight on the threads. That's ging to be one beautious rod when your finished!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

That's ging to be one beautious rod when your finished!!
    Aww thanks Betty! I sure hope so. The gold actually came out more translucent than colored. It gives it that floating guide look that I have seen some of the big time guys do with thier rods. I will be sure to post some "finally done" pictures soon.

Without a color preserver, a spar varnish or epoxy finish will always turn silk translucent-- and with light colored threads it goes transparent. For silk that I want to stay opaque, I use Gudebrod Rod Varnish. It also works as a finish if you build up enough coats.

I have experienced similar situations. I much prefer the color with the preservative. It goes on easy and drys fast.

jed

Default Silk wraps

Silk will change when varnished. At least your first taste of this reality turned out beautiful. The first time I varnished silk I learned that emerald green turns dead black. Looks a lot like black electrical tape. So attractive.
    I have since learned to test wrap silk on a dowel to see the effect of varnish and /or color preserver. When I do want color preserver I usually use Aero Gloss Model airplane lacquer.
    You do need to learn to develop a good story though. Like " oh yes -- it took a lot of testing and experimentation to get just that transparent effect".
    AgMD

A lot of us work hard to get that look, with perfect saturation and no air pockets. Garrison is noted for his completely transparent wraps, and arcane formulations and procedures abound for getting "floating guides," where the guides appear to be encased in clear or tinted glass. Also, I personally believe that complete saturation of the thread is good for the longevity of the wraps, and shellacs and lacquers (color preservatives) block this saturation. In reality, this is probably a moot point with freshwater fly rods that are babied as compared to conventional tackle. Tight lines.
    -CC

+ Reply to Thread