+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Digital Camera

Default New Digital Camera

I finally ordered one today! I settled on a Pentax Optio W10. Waterproof, small, close-up shots. I'm happy that I can get some quick close-up shots of flies that I hadn't been able to do before except on my SLR. I know my fishing buddy will be happy so I can get photos to him a lot faster. I already have a Canon 35mm Rebel EOS SLR for professional looking stuff but I used to just carry a little 25mm Kodak 110 when fishing. Takes a long time to get through a roll of 24 when at times I don't take a lot of shots on the water and even longer to get developed since photo shops don't develop 25mm much anymore. I still have a roll that I will have to get developed that is not finished and has my fishing buddy's 7lb. LMB on it (yeah, he's not been a happy camper and I don't blame him being my fault). I hope the photos come out when developed or I'll never hear the end of it .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Default Digital Camera

I just bought a digital. Been looking and wondering for a long time. Then I go and buy one on emotion I know nothing about. Panasonic, 6x optical 5 mp, that is no bigger (well a hair) than a canon 4x 5mp. Says on standard picture setting you can expand the zoom to 7.5 optical without affecting picture quality. Has a macro feature AND Optical Image Stability feature! Soooooo...fingers crossed it will be a good camera.

Gemrod

AND Optical Image Stability feature!
    From what I've read, that's been a real problem on the digitals. I know my Canon 35mm SLR captures moving objects in Sports Mode but for most digitals, I've read that its a shutter speed problem that they have had difficulty solving. Well, no image stability feature on mine that I know of but at least it is small, waterproof (up to 30 minutes at 5 feet and can take some underwater photos) , and can take close-up shots.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

dixieangler,

The Optio is the best camera I have seen for fly fishermen. Yes I have cameras with better optics and software but they are not waterproof and hence I don't carry them. No fear with the Optio, mine is the first version out and I like it. It even does well with underwater shots, I took some pics at Tanycomo and was impressed with them.

Dan

I have had my Pentax Optio for 15 months now and have taken a lot of great fish pics. Best fishing camera by far.

Your going to love it
    Max

Default YES - they do work underwater...

dixieangler,

Took my first underwater photo with my "Waterproof Pentax Optio 6.0 Megapixels" this afternoon. Danged trout wouldn't cooperate and got his bottom half only in the photo. Need three arms for this kind of operation. Couldn't remember how to set it to the "underwater" mode till I got back home; so, just plunged 'er under and hoped for the best. Danged manual is 135 pages long and I need one that's about 10! Got it mainly for wet outdoors days and not necessarily for underwater photos. But, that's a nice bonus. Enjoy...it's a great camera.

My Pentax is the WPi. It's also a 6.1 mp and a great camera. I have other digital cameras but the one I take streamside is this one. To me,it just doesn't make sense to take a non-waterproof camera there.

Mark
    PS: And I don't have to apologize for the quality of the images.

Default Digital Cameras

Yeah guys. Now I remember all the posts about the Pentax Optio. Goes to show you what buying on impulse does! ...duh....

There were none at Best Buy on display and so I fell for another one. Mr. Dixieangler did it smart. I had the good advise and still blew it!

I've never seen anyone try so hard.... as me....and still fail. G

Gemrod

Hey, Gemrod, I do a LOT of foolish things. Stupid things usually. My definition of stupid is doing something I know better than doing but do it anyway. Dumb is when I don't know any better.

You did good . You got a camera that has the ability to take moving objects and that is a definate benefit as most digitals on the market do not according to the digital camera articles I have been reading.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Default Another new waterproof digital by Olympus

There is another new waterproof digital that has come out on the market that is also shockproof with a higher megapixel. Probably more expensive also . Some folks that have had them have said it still has teething pains (early problems to work out like size and ergonomics).

Specs:
    The Olympus Stylus 720SW, a waterproof (to 3m) 7.1 megapixel camera that is also 'shock-proof' (resistant to falls from up to 1.5m). Boasting a maximum ISO of 1600, a large 2.5-inch screen and a 3x optical zoom, the 720SW is available in an array of colours; Dusky Pink, Polar Blue and Steel Silver.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/olymp ... tback-.jpg
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread