+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pseudo hackle

Default Pseudo hackle

Has anyone tried harelines pseudo hackle???

CC

No, I have not tried it. Have you tried it?

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I've never even seen this material before! How do you use it? Do you need to fold it in half? Pretty strange looking stuff!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I've not used this particular product before. If this is supposed to be used as a "dry fly" hackle I would seriously doubt it would work. To me, it seems the rope would be much thicker than a hackle stem. Seems that it would really stack up when you start wrapping it around the hooks. However, on larger streamers it would probably work. Might work real well on a woolly bugger. Good luck.
    Greg

It looks a lot like the Boa Yarn sold at Wal-Marts if it is a yarn material.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Indeed it looks like Boa...which would mean it's not suitable for dries...also it appears to have thread on both sides.

Incidentally on Boa...so it may hold for this product too...you can tease out one of the threads making the wrapping much easier...and I have used the extra thread as legging ...seems to work well.

Interesting how they came on the market with this....I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't driven somewhat by the Boa based flies on this site....

Carpcrazy,

I've 'made' this stuff from ribbon. You buy the loose weave stuf with the bound edges, cut it lenthwise to a hackle 'length' you want, then remove the long fibers leaving only the crosswise ones and the bound edge. Goes much faster than it sounds. Saw the 'idea' in a magazine some place.

Works on bugger style flies and makes neat collars on soft hackle style flies where you want some extra flash.

The concept is that you cut it lengthwise.

You can thus 'size' it by how long you make the fibers. Theoretically, you get two usable 'sides' from each length of the stuff.

In any event, it won't work as a substitute for dry fly hackle, it's too heavy and bulky and not 'stiff' enough for that.

Since it's 'new' to the fly tying marketplace, I expect some clever folks will come up with lots of uses for it.

What I'm waiting for is someone to take those 'microfibets' that they sell for tailing and turn that into a similar product that WILL work for dry flies....They'd have to make it in sizes to correspond to hook sizes, but it would be great for really tiny flies...we'll see.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Jim Slattery Guest

I have some. It's pretty cool. Good for buggers wets and nymphs. You can cut it to get a nice tapered effect when palmered.

As with Boa yarn, Place in dubbing loop, cut rope off, spin.

Thanks for your answers, I havent used it yet, but I found some similar ribbons at the crafts shop hehehe I was tinking to use it as a collar on wets, legs for nymphs and maybe hackle for buggers as soon as I get soemthing tied with it I'll post it.

CC

+ Reply to Thread