+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REEL Confused

Default REEL Confused

I am interested in knowing what FAOL members consider as ESSENTIAL components or characteristics of a decent saltwater reel. I plan to do a little bonefishing, but I need a new reel. I don't want to waste my money. There are so many reel components and materials that I find myself confused. Manufactures display many claims such as the following:

Disc Drags
    Cork Disc Drags
    Teflon & Cork Disc Drags
    Conical Disc Drags
    Click Pawl Disc Drags
    Spring Disc Drags
    Graphite/Composite Disc Drags
    Offset disc drag
    Advanced space-age disc drag system

Brass gearing
    Stainless steel one way roller bearing
    Oil-impregnated bronze bushings

Cast-aluminum frame
    Machined 6082 marine alloy aluminum
    Machined bar stock 6262 T6 aluminum

Titanium anodized finish
    Gold anodized finish

As you can see there is a lot being said!?!? What are the basic characteristics needed in a reel for saltwater on a species like Bonefish?

Thanks,
    ac01

Backing capacity, designed for salt water, a good disk drag. Drag needs to be consistent and able to handle long runs. I like cork drags. There are alot of great inexpensive reels that can be used for bone fish.

One of the most inexpensive is the Orvis Mid Arbor tons of backing, good quality, and only $119.

Albright is discontinuing their Tempest reel and they can be found for half price $175. Ross BigGame is also being discontinued with large discounts to be found.

What I consider essential is backing capacity,disc drag and good anodising.A good,reasonably priced reel would be a Teton Tioga.Cork drags are nice but not essential for bonefish.Think of how many record fish were caught using a Pflueger Medalist and go from there.And by the way,a Medalist can still get the job done.

Get the best reel you can, preferrably with cork or cork to composite drag, because bonefish will probably do more damage to a cheap reel quicker than a tarpon will because there's not too much swimming that's going to peel backing off the reel any faster than a bone.....

Get the best reel you can afford. Bauer, Nautilus, Ross, Tibor, Islander. You could use the Medalist but you could also use a horse and buggy to travel across the country and not you car. Ive used the Medalist for a few years and no matter how good you are about keeping it clean It will rust out. Talk to the pros who catch alot of bones and they will go on and on about the better reels and the plusses to getting a real good reel.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Regarding the drag on a fly reel an acquaintance on another forum that tests fly fishing gear said, "They use cork in the clutch of a Rolls Royce".

'Nuff said, I think.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

With some of the prices I've seen, you should be able to drive a few of these reels home after a day on the water!!

ac01

Your right they can be pricy go to waterworks web page and look under clearanc. I you can't afford one of these on sale you may want to put off salt fly fishing a bit. No offence but it would be better then being frustraded with an inferior reel. Welcome to The Waterworks / Lamson - Premier manufacturer of state-of-the-art fly fishing reels.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Not that I'm suggesting it but I started out in the salt with a medalist.
    I picked up some valuable skills that way.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't fish the salt unless you have THIS gear or you can cast THIS far or can make THIS cast.

Like that sneaker company sez; "Just do it"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I started the salt with the medalist also and one of the best lessons I came out of it with is get the best you can afford cause the cheaper stuff does not last long and can make it frustrating. For about 100 or so the battenkill would be better then the pflueger.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

+ Reply to Thread